Author Topic: Envoy  (Read 4076 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Envoy
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:04:46 am »
Anyone know anything about this?

http://implantablehearing.com/

Someone told me recently that the docs @ HEI are starting to implant it in patients.

It's been approved by the FDA, but that's about all I know about it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

Re: Envoy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:40:42 am »
Never heard of it.  Interesting.

Pretty soon, everyone will be the Bionic Woman/Man!  And chances are, no one will be able to make it through metal detectors without setting them off!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:53:14 am »
will be watching this one...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:31 am »
Supposedly the battery only needs changing every 5 - 7 years. 

Wonder how that's done  ???

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:27:21 am »

Wonder how that's done  ???

You just shove the new one in your ear?   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

grega

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:19 pm »
Q-tip ?!?!?!?!?!    :o
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

rupert

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »

I have heard of something similar but I'm not sure if this device is the same.   The neurosurgeon I saw in Pittsburgh said that he had done a few  (probably clinical trials).

The  microprocessor device was implanted behind the ear drum  taking the sound and somehow moving the bones and cilia that weren't  moving naturally.   You had to wait for the ear drum to heal up before the device was turned on.    I thought he said battery life of about ten years.    At that point I think you would have to have the procedure done again.   I don't beleive this device would work if your hearing nerve was damaged.    The device mentioned in the previous posts looks as though it is a conducting device to the good ear.    All interesting.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:23:22 pm »
I'm with Rupert on this... I looked over their website and even watched the video about "How it works" from their website.  It certainly appears that a functioning hearing nerve would be required for this to work..  So, anyone who's had Translab surgery would automatically be out (because most of the bony structures in the ear have been removed)..  Their website said it was designed for those with SSD, but I'm not sure AN patients would qualify under that loose definition of "SSD"..

Worth exploring with your doctor, though, I guess..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

grega

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:55:52 am »
Say Jan .... et al .... did anyone get past the opening main webpage?  I clicked on every other link and got error messages ("404") for each .... and Esteem as a heading.  By the spelling of "favourite" in the error message, assume it's not a US company.
Thanks,
Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:03 pm »
Greg -

really only looked at the main page myself.

And the only reason I started this thread, as I think I said in my opening post, is that someone told me that HEI was going to be doing these implants.

That may have been just a rumor; I'm not sure.

I'm not due to see my doc any time soon - unless I finally make that appt to have my screw taken out  ::) - but if I do see him, I'll ask him what he knows about the Envoy.

Jan

ksiwek

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:39:10 am »
All, spoke VERY briefly with Dr Friedman at Hei about Envoy.  He told me that I would not be a candidate as my surgery will be translab with resulting SSD.  From what I gathered in our 15 second conversation, Envoy does not work with SSD.  If I get anymore update info or hear any good info, I will post...
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)