Author Topic: Another Headache Question  (Read 2897 times)

dgrummer

Another Headache Question
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:26:50 pm »
I know this has been discussed many times – but I have a question on when I should start worrying about the headaches.

My husband just had surgery 2/23 (RS approach) and has been recovering well....until today.  Yesterday we traveled to the doctor to have his stitches out and he felt well enough to go out for lunch. 

But last night he developed a severe headache – to the point he couldn’t move his head.  He took a Tylenol 3 that they sent him home from the hospital with and went to bed.  Although he didn’t sleep much – the headache was better this morning.  But by noon it was back worse and he was running a fever.

When I called the neurosurgeon’s office – they just told me to give him regular Tylenol and call them if it didn’t get better.  Instead of regular Tylenol – I gave him another T3.  His fever went away – but within 3 hrs – his headache was back.  He’s telling me his pain is a 9 on the 10 pt scale – but he’s not running fever anymore.

I just gave him some Excedrin Migraine– the bottle says he can’t have anything else for 24 hrs.  If that doesn’t do the trick – what do I do?

At what point do I start to worry that something else is going on.  He’s never had a migraine before – so when folks told him he might have a headache – he had no idea how bad they could be.

Could the headache just be from over doing it yesterday?  He’s been doing very well and is getting frustrated that he’s not feeling any better than he is by now...but within a week of surgery – he was already walking a mile.  I have to keep reminding him that just over a week ago he had brain surgery - not knee surgery.  I’m thinking he’s just rushing things too much.  His surgery lasted 12 hours and the tumor was severely compressing his brain...so naturally I’m worried that something might be swelling that’s not suppose to be.

Battyp

Re: Another Headache Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:16:00 pm »
I was one of the lucky ones who had all their headaches prior to surgery and after. I never required much more than ibuprofen after surgery.  I think if i was me I'd be concerned enough to go to the er.  At least they might be able to give him something for some relief?

sunshine16

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:19:15 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I'm pretty lucky I didn't suffer much, But If I do get headaches, my doctor gave me Naproxen and it's really good.  My toothache bothered me more.  But question you have to go back to the doctor to have his stiches out?  was it painful? Mine disolves by itself...  

Doctor actually gave me 2 medications, one is Naproxen, and Propoxy I guess it's for more severe pain.  

I'm sure he will feel better soon.  It takes time.  Take care.  

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:28:32 pm »
dgrummer,
See my post on the General Discussion--pre-/post-op migraines.  Is his headache one-sided or accompanied by nausea?

Capt.Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

becknell

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:02:05 pm »
Dana -- Ken had headaches for a few weeks after his surgery, off and on. He also had RS (suboccipital) He never had a fever, though, and I would watch that carefully. Sometimes he would have bad headaches and sometimes he would feel OK. Eventually they did go away, but I would not think it unusual, at least based on our experience, that he is still having them. They told us to expect some good days and bad days, and he had both. I think he needs to be patient and not expect too much of himself. It could be that he's just overdoing it a little, but if you're concerned, I would not hesitate to call your doctor.

Katja

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 01:00:40 am »
Hi there
I had awful headaches after my surgery and they lasted a while. Specially when they were making brain fluid less in my first and third surgery. Anyway this will go away. Also it might be that taking off those stitches it can have pulled a bit the wound area and that's why. Don't worry they will go away. I felt some days that my head will have huge explosure... even sometimes now when getting too tired. But he has to take some medichine. And if they don't go away maybe you need to visit some neurological doctor....
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

dgrummer

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:11:30 am »
Thanks guys – he’s was better yesterday.  At least by the afternoon he was able to get out of bed and could get up from the chair without me helping him. 

Wednesday morning was the worse – once he finally took some Tylenol 3 – it cut through the pain – now he’s back taking that every 4-6 hrs to make sure nothing comes back.  Once we got the pain under control – his fever went away.

I’m hoping today is better.  He was able to take 2 short walks yesterday – so he’s much better.

He’s pretty convinced that all this was from the car ride Monday – said every time we hit a bump it felt like his head was being slammed against a brick wall…and well – Arkansas isn’t known for our smooth roads.

His short-term disability paperwork has him returning to work in 2 weeks – I’m not seeing that happening.  Luckily he can take up to 26 weeks with full pay – or work from him if necessary…and I work from home 3 days/week and can the other 2 days if needed.

I guess I really thought this week would be better – but feel like he’s gotten worse.  But today is a new day – and we pray it’s better than yesterday.

Thanks!
dana

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 09:44:36 am »
The same exact thing happened to me the day of the car ride home.  I was in LA and we drove back to my cousin's outside of LA about an hour ride on a crowded freeway with really bad sun in my eyes and lots of potholes.  I had a screaming 16 hour headache, with a slight fever,which the doc told me later was a migraine.
If he has another one like this,  see if you can talk to a doc about migraines-which sometimes are triggered by head trauma like brain surgery.
There are a lot of great new meds for migraine out these days--Zomig inhalant works great on mine.

Back at work in two weeks depends a lot on the balance thing.  My tumor was 1.2 cm which meant that my balance was drastically altered.  People with larger tumors have already compensated and don't have quite the loss of balance function.  I didn't drive for 6 months and didn't get back to work full-time , well I'm still not full-time, but I work at home.

Best wishes for you, your husband, and your family
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW