Author Topic: Ron is back home post surgery  (Read 3878 times)

RES

Ron is back home post surgery
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:28:11 pm »
Hi All, I have never been on this, but Ron wanted to let you all know he had his surgery last Thursday and came home today. For those of you who said Dr. Gantz was great, he is, Ron's tumor had displaced several nerves, his facial nerve was flat as a ribbon. We think his residual hearing was saved, but don't know for sure, he has some facial issues and is having some word finding/association issues, all scarey. He is weak, but hopefully being home he get his strength back quickly. He is walking a lot as has been advised. Thanks for all your words of wisdom   Denise (Ron's wife)
Ron
AN 1.9CM Left Side
Middle Fossa Surgery @ University of Iowa 5/14/09
Drs. Gantz & Woodson (Great job!)
No major Post-op issues.

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Ron is back home post surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:39:07 pm »
Hi Denise,

I was wondering about Ron, so I am glad to read your post.  Did they do the tuning fork test on him in recovery?
They use that as a predictor of your hearing after you heal and before the swelling sets it.

How are you doing?

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:39:20 pm »
Denise -

thanks for updating us on Ron's surgery.  We were just wondering about him the other day.

I'm happy to hear that he's home and recovering.  Cheryl R said that Dr. Gantz was great and I'm glad you and Ron thought so too  ;D

Stuff can be scary post op, but rest assured that Ron will make progress every day and before you both know it, everything will be behind him.

Please give Ron my best, and tell him welcome to Postieland - he'll know what that means.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
Thanks so much for the update! I do find myself wondering a great deal about our patients when they "go away" for surgery and the time to update us is much appreciated!

Home in one piece is a fine goal for the first week, IMO, and glad to hear he's there! I hope the rest of issues will clear up very quickly.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:34:03 pm »
Hi Denise,

Thank you for the update on Ron. Please tell him we send our very best wishes for a good recovery. It is great to hear that he is home now. The facial issues may take some time if the nerve was flattened; oh well, that can happen. I'm sure he will be feeling more like himself in a week. Lots of naps are the order of the day.

Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:44:06 pm »
Glad to hear he's back home. Hope his recovery is quick. I hope you're getting some rest too. I go in for surgery in a month and worry more for my wife than anything. I think its just as hard...maybe even harder on you.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:03:17 am »
Hi Ron and Denise.       I am sorry to hear of the facial nerve but and most improve in time.         Don't get too nervous over how it is mentally for now as that should improve too.            How it is right now is not how it will be in time.           Don't try to over do to prove to yourself that you will normal again.          I know I did and now know to be very patient. 
I do know that one needs heavier type eye drop than what Univ of Iowa gives you for day use.         I am a big fan of Refresh Liquigel.      Sometime may need even heavier and Celluvisc is good but more blurry vision.           One can try different brands.     I never had any problem with ones with preservatives but some do.   
I wish you well and was thinking of you and how it had went.      I am glad you liked Gantz and we are lucky how good he is.
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:41:08 am »
So glad to hear Ron is doing well.  I also had lots of scary post-op cognitive issues, which cleared up after a few weeks.  Please assure him that most issues will resolve in time.  Again, welcome to postie-land Ron!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »
Denise,
Any updates today on Ron's recuperation?  He is almost at the 24 hour mark...<phew..past that>

All the best to him today,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MissMolly

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 04:42:13 pm »
Wondering how Rob is recouping.  I do hope well so he can enjoy the weather and springtime!!

MissMolly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.