Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for July 25 at HEI  (Read 4728 times)

Lesliegc

Surgery scheduled for July 25 at HEI
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:37:33 am »
I have a date for my surgery at HEI. Gotten great info from the forum, so don't have a lot of questions....yet. I am traveling all the way from VT, probably flying out of Boston, so my immediate issue is whether to spend the extra money to fly nonstop. If anyone has experience post op with long flights, with or without stops, (or any tips as to how to do all this cheaply, for that matter) please let me know. I'll post as I have more information.
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11
middle fossa  7/25/11 at HEI
developed chronic headaches at 5 months post op

JerseyGirl2

Re: Surgery scheduled for July 25 at HEI
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:04 am »
I can only offer my own opinion, but based on my experience flying post-surgery from L.A. back to my home in New Jersey, I would definitely opt for non-stop. I felt absolutely fine -- just the fatigue that almost all of us experience after the surgery -- but I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the possibilities of lay-over flight delays, the hassles of de-planing and re-boarding, etc., etc. My husband and I had enough miles that we could upgrade to first-class for the return flight, and that worked out great. There was absolutely no wait for the first-class security check-in at LAX and we got to the gate in record time.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery -- you'll love it at House!!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:31:41 am »
I have to agree, non stop is the way to go. Too many pressure changes the other way, having to take off and land more than once. It will be more costly financially, but easier on the rest of you esp. your head.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

MGengo

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:09 am »
I'm from New Jersey and had my surgery at HEI.  I would really make every effort to book a non-stop after your surgery.  The worst part of the trip was waiting at LAX to board.  Once aboard I fell asleep and stayed that way for most of the trip.

Good Luck,
Mary Ann

ksiwek

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:08:10 am »
Keep in mind, too, that you can have wheelchair assistance meet you at the airport.  They will wheel you through the back hallways and through security without waiting.  For me, this was essential!  It reduced the sensory overload that comes with the airport experience!

I agree with the others...nonstop will be well worth it!

Good luck!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:30:00 am »
Hi,

I have to agree with everyone else to fly nonstop! (I live in Indiana and flew out of Chicago's Midway Airport). It just makes life a whole lot easier.  L. A. X. is pretty crazy and very busy.  I chose not to use a wheelchair but did explain at check-in that I had brain surgery and "proudly" showed them my incision (that was a real eye opener!) I informed them that I needed to board the plane first because I could not tolerate anyone pushing or bumping into me. I made sure I positioned myself on the plane to have my surgery side against the window so I would not get bumped even by family. It worked out well and they had no problem accommodating me (Southwest). It's all going to work out fine. You will be in good hands at House. Please keep us posted on your progress.  Will keep you in my prayers. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

CNY

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:15:11 pm »
Yes, nonstop would be preferable but I was able to change planes in JFK, even when the first flight was delayed.  I would also plan to either check your luggage or pack so that your companion can carry both of your bags.  You won't need much for the trip but you shouldn't carry/lift more than 10 pounds after surgery.  We flew from a smaller airport (Long Beach to JFK using Jetblue frequent flier miles) and the Long Beach airport was easy to navigate.  My physical therapist at St. Vincents recommended using a wheelchair if you use LAX.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

MGengo

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »
I agree with Ann (Desilu) about letting someone know at check-in about the surgery so you can have priority boarding.  I didn't do that and I got bumped and jostled all the way to my assigned seat.  Hopefully there is no next time, but if there is, I'll know better.  Good Luck!

Mary Ann

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »
  My physical therapist at St. Vincents recommended using a wheelchair if you use LAX.

Just wanted to point out that, like all things AN, everyone has a different experience. I had no need for a wheelchair at LAX, nor did anyone recommend that I use one. Not bragging or gloating -- just didn't want anyone to think that if they need to fly home after surgery wheelchairs and special boarding treatment are necessarily part of the routine. It's good to know that these options are available if you do need them!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

ksiwek

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:21:30 pm »
Okay...so not to have scared anyone from my post about using a wheelchair  ;D

I could have walked, as I did a lot of slow walking around LA post op, but I had just had a c-section and brain surgery....and I was taking my 1 month old home with me on the plane.  It was easier for my little guy and I to snuggle together in the wheelchair and avoid some of the chaos of the airport (and receive priority getting through security and to the boarding gate).  They also took care of my bags for me so that my husband and mom weren't loaded down through the airport.  I had eye tracking issues, so it was nice to avoid overtaxing my tired brain!

I am just letting the LA bound folks know that the service is there to use!  Also many airlines, if you call within 24 hours of travelling will allow for you to be put the front seats (forget what they call them) for medical necessity.  This gave me more room without being 'jostled' around by other passengers without paying extra fees like many airlines want to charge these days.  Check out each airlines travel policies on their webpage...food for thought!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »
Kris,

I'm sorry if it sounded as though I were being critical at your using a wheelchair!! I certainly didn't intend to suggest that. Another poster on this thread had written that his/her physical therapist at St. Vincent's "recommended using a wheelchair if you use LAX" (it was that poster's quote I cited in my response) ... and I had just wanted to let people know that not everyone receives such a recommendation nor does everyone necessarily require a wheelchair.

I have followed your posts on this forum (as well as the article in "House Calls") and have been truly humbled by all the issues with which you had to deal, and how graciously you did so. Travelling a distance for AN surgery is one thing, but to combine that with giving birth in a distant city immediately prior to AN surgery, is a whole different ball game. Yours is an amazing story. I think I would have needed a lot more than a wheelchair to cope with all that.

Once again, my apologies if my comment offended you.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
Along with all the other House Alums here, I congratulate you on your choice to go to HEI. You won't be sorry!  If you are interested, I have a VERY detailed blog like thing I typed up for someone a while back who was going to HEI. It gives a lot of info on how things go there.  Let me know and I will cut and paste it in a PM to you (PM me so I know you want it, otherwise I might miss it as a post here!) Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston