Author Topic: Here I go.....  (Read 5330 times)

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Re: Here I go.....
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 05:27:56 pm »
Hey Noodle, about losing hearing and still having ringing...I had ringing in my ear before surgery, and after surgery my ringing is pretty much gone, now 7ish weeks after surgery. Loud noises/music makes it ring some, but not too bad. It felt 'full' and ring-y for about 5 weeks post-surgery. I had my brother-in-law (the most creative/funny person related to me) write a blog online during the day of surgery, and the next few days at the hospital. It was something that was really cool to read on about day 6, when I was up to looking at a computer screen. I'm sure you'll do great, let me know if you have any questions! - Darin
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Noodle

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 03:30:22 pm »
Thank you everyone for your kind words, I knew I would find the support and guidance I was searching for from "my family"!  It is nice to know I am not alone and I truly appreciate all your kind words and advice.

I am having surgery on Friday the 28th at St. Vincent Medical Center in Los Angeles with Dr Jerald Robinson (from St. Joseph's in Orange County) and Dr Schwartz.  I feel very confident with my team and feel very lucky to have such skilled surgeons.  It's also nice to read about the positive experiences that people have had at St. Vincent.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, I know I will need them!
2 cm right side an diagnosed 6/11/09
Translab 8/28/09 - House Dr. Robinson/Dr. Schwartz
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »
Noodle -

I was one of those who overpacked, so no advice from me on this topic.  Just wanted to say good luck!  ;D

You'll be a postie soon!  Yea!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 11:25:53 pm »
Hi Noodle,

I just wanted to welcome you and say you are not alone.  I don't think worrying about how you Will look is vain at all, in fact, many, if not all of us had the same concern. The great thing is, hair does grow back.  Between my AN surgery and my BAHA surgery, I was missing a chunk of hair for over a year (my hair is medium length) .  As others have said, if your hair is long (or longish) it will probably cover the incision.  As for the surgery itself, I am also a control freak and decided I could control how much I knew and possibly expect postoperatively and had to be satisfied with that since everything else was out of my control.  I had complete faith in my doctors' abilities and just kept a positive attitude.  Keeping busy with other things will make the time fly between now that the date of your surgery. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »
Where have i been?  I didn't even see this!  WELCOME NOODLE!!

I've been saying it for over 13 years now and even though everyone else said it, I will say it again  CHAPSTICK!!!!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

epc1970

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 04:36:49 pm »
Hi Noodle
I was an overpacker  ;).....besides the chapstick or some sort of lip balm the only thing that I was really glad to have was a cashmere wrap to keep me cozy (and it didn't occur to me till day 2 that I wanted it!). As people have said before: I was surprised at how little hair I lost during the surgery. The strange thing for me was that I started to loose a lot of hair at about three months post op-my hairdresser thinks it was the shock of the surgery to my system. But that stopped a few months after it started. I too am a "control freak" and to let go I just told myself that I had made the best choice that I could make in a surgeon and I just had to truly put my life in my surgeon's hands-really just surrender to that thought. If you can have someone journal or document your expirence, I think you will appreciate it in thev months after-I wish I had thought of that. You will do great Noodle-that much I know! I wish you the best recovery possible and look forward to an update when you are a "postie".

Keri

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 07:33:12 pm »
Hi Noodle,
I haven't been on too much lately and just found your post. I hope you will be at peace this week as you get everything ready.
I will pray you have a successful surgery. I too had translab. I have really long hair and it seemed like it was all coming off when he shaved a part of my head, but it's all underneath. It's not noticeable.
I had more ringing sounds in my ear pre-surgery. Post, they were gone, but then they returned but the sounds aren't as varied. It's almost always in the background now. It's not a big deal. I will try to get a BAHA maybe in the near future.
Keep us posted. Can someone (friend, family member) login and post for you? You won't feel like it for a few days and we'll want to know how you're doing and how it went.
Take care,
Keri
Oh - I'm going to add you to the AN calendar. Also, people will wish you well on the weekly updates under community (once I get it written, which will be hopefully in a few minutes!)
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!