Author Topic: Hearing lost and family  (Read 3399 times)

godftamm

Hearing lost and family
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
Hi, I spent my Christmas with my family this year and I couldn't hear anything anyone said to me. I was so lost and alone. I tried to hear them but it didn't work well. I lost all my hearing on the right side and 55% of my left. They are still trying to understand what happened.  ???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Hearing lost and family
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:34 am »
Hearing loss is a tough one - in my case it made me so miserable that I actually got depressed over it.

Some people adjust over time, but for those of us who don't, there are TransEars and BAHAs.

My BAHA has been a Godsend for me.

I don't know if a TransEar will work for you or not - due to the diminished hearing in your "good" ear - but I know that a BAHA will.  You would just need one of the more powerful processors.

Look into a BAHA demo.  I think you'll like it.

If your doc doesn't do BAHA implants, check out www.cochlearamericas.com  You'll find a list of docs/clinics under "Find a Clinic".

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

godftamm

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »
The VA, military is getting me this hearing aid but have to wait for doctor to say okay and we are not sure when that will be but its nice to know i'm not the only one going though all this. I found 3 friends that have gone though the same thing and we all worked in the same place which is weird. Then I have a friend in town that went though the same thing about 10 years ago. she helpful but she hid in her bedroom for 6 months. That's not really me. Even though my face is frozen its my eyes that are off. I wear sun glasses so that helps and my husband always with me. Thats the one thing that drives me crazy not being able to go to the store and do some things I need to do. My family understands a little but my niece is funny she says i can win in eye staring contest. What kids say.

MNTim

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »
I know what you are experiencing.  I began to avoid social settings with large groups because I would just stand there and grin.  Check into all of your options with an audiologist.  As Jan said there are several devices on the market that will assist your hearing.  I met with an audiologist yesterday and we discussed devices that work with hearing aids on both sides, not only aiding your deaf side but also your diminished side.

In fairness to yourself you didn't ask for this.  Let people know about your hearing loss.  My loss is in my left ear and I now tell people that are on my left side to poke me if they are talking and I am not responding. People will accommodate you.  Until you are able to correct the issue with devices do things to make it easier on yourself.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
Our San Jose support group has gotten a hold of a great button.

"I hear better when you face me"  which is so true.  I wear hearing aids on both ears but still struggle to hear in a big group.

TJ

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:56 am »
Since your good ear has diminished hearing as well, you may be a good candidate for one of the BAHA power models...either the Ponto Pro Power by Oticon or the BP110 by Cochlear.  Hearing aids may only increase the background noise for you which will make it even more frustrating.

Your situation is similar to mine, although only one ear was affected.  I had a sudden onset idiopathic sensorineural hearing loss.  My guess is I had some sort of auto immune reaction.  They couldn't find anything else.  That being said, it does not change the situation.  Good luck and keep us posted.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

godftamm

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:19:27 pm »
Thank you will talk to my doctor about the hear aid things you talked about and I am now telling people I can't hear them. I just still feel lost but feel better at home.