Author Topic: What is my long-term prognosis?  (Read 4072 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: What is my long-term prognosis?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 03:00:37 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Marci. Before I had my surgery 80% of my face was numb. I was told that there would be a chance that it would not return. I have gotten back about 75% back (beside my nose it is still numb). Anyway the reason for my rambling is that when the feeling started coming back I felt a rushing feeling from just in front of my ear to an area that was numb (at the time it was my lip). It is happening again, I really need to concentrate, it is a tiny tingling/rushing feeling kind of like a hair brushing across my face.
I am taking 369, B complex and a multi vitamin, I have massage every two weeks and try hard to walk everyday. My neurosurgeon wants me to do lots of heart pounding exercise (I guess getting the blood moving is crucial). Teaching kindergarten is a workout in itself.
Don't give up...it still can happen.

I have this stuck on my firdge: Never, never, never give up. ~Winston Churchill....and this... You have within you, right now, everything you need to achieve almost any goal you can set for yourself. The only question is how badly you want it, and how hard are you willing to work fo get it. There are not limits.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 03:02:51 pm »
Michelle~
I love that 2nd quote - I hadn't heard it before!
I bet you are tired when you get home at the end of the day!!   ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 05:43:39 am »
ok, my 2 cents (or less than that)..... AN's being benign..... not thinking it should affect my long term prognosis unless (as others noted) the small % of regrowth potential and if that were to happen... and not caught early that one would become life threatening (as rare as that is) but I try not to think in those terms (although always in the back of my mind but I don't dwell on it).  My long term prognosis for life expectancy is definately shortened if the bloke ever found out how much I recently paid for "bling" that I'm wearing on my fingers.... so, me likes my odds of the AN prognosis better! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:30 am »
Phyl,

I think it's a fact that "bling" can actually increase your lifespan!!  Or at least it can make you happy while you're here!!  Think your bloke would notice if I charged some bling of my own to his credit card?  I know mine would. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

DontLookBack

• To live is a gift!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 12:13:19 pm »
The way it was told to me was that I will have it for the rest of my life. Weather I am 50 or 90. Many people live very long lives with this. There are even some who have it and don't even know it and live very long lives. Try not to dwell on that as it can tend to consume you. Good luck on Oct 7 You will be in my thoughts.
Kelly White

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 06:24:46 am »
Hi Marci,
Thought I'd chime in.  It's my understanding that most AN patients will live normal (even if it's a new slightly altered  normal) healthy lives.  Also, most will recover most of not all of their normal function.  Unfortunately, as we all know not everyone recovers completely from facial palsy and some have lifetime balance problems to some degree, but for those of us who stay active here, I think we  have a better chance of adjusting to our new normals thanks to the support of our fellow ANers.

Wishing you the best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!