Author Topic: Looking for Mid Fossa surgeons in NYC recommendations  (Read 2803 times)

Dawn

Looking for Mid Fossa surgeons in NYC recommendations
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:54:21 pm »
Hi Everyone.

After having my phone consult from House and recent visit with Dr. Post they are both agreed that the only type procedure for me would be the Mid Fossa....problem is Dr. Post no longer performs this type of surgery.  He said he used to refer to another doctor who has since retired but that his protege Dr. Hoffman at NYU is very good.

Has anyone had Mid Fossa in the NY area and if so I am looking for some names and outcomes of the surgery.  I am also considering going to House for the surgery.

Thanks for the Help
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

wendysig

Re: Looking for Mid Fossa surgeons in NYC recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:53:14 pm »
Hi Dawn,

My doctor, Dr. Choe, does middle fossa, and  in fact, until I had two hearing drops in June, we were planning for middle fossa.  At the time, he told me he usually works with Dr. Bederson, Chairman of Neurosurgery at Mount Sinai.  I sent you Dr. Choe's information once before by PM but if you need or want it again, I'll be happy to send it again, so let me know.

Good luck,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dawn

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:25:55 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for responding,  I was just at Mt Sinai seeing Dr. Post and when I asked who did that procedure he first mentioned a DR that was retired and said he was a great doctor, then said his protege Dr. Hoffman does it at NYU and didn't offer any other names...that is odd if they work out of the same hospital, he said noone there does that procedure any longer??????

I'm confused....
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:22 pm »
Dr. Choe is affiliated with Mount Sinai  but is not on staff  -- he is in private practice, so I guess  it is possible that Dr. Post doesn't know him since he (Dr. Choe) works primarily with Dr. Bederson when he works with a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai.  I have found Dr. Choe to be a truly wonderful and caring physician and recommend him highly.  Dr. Bederson also had wonderful things to say about him when I saw him for a consultation.  If nothing else, I would suggest that you see Dr. Choe  for a consultation and see what he has to say and make up your own mind.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:48:07 am »
Dawn,

Another New York AN team that's mentioned frequently and very favorably on this forum is that of Drs. Golfinos and Roland at NYU. Perhaps one of their patients will see this thread and give you some additional information.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:34:05 pm »
Dawn -

as Catherine mentioned Drs. Roland & Golfinos have a great reputation.  I think they do mid fossa, but I'm not 100% positive.  I'd check them out.

I'd also check out Wendy's doc (Dr. Choe); I've heard good things about him also.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dawn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:40 pm »
Thank you all for the help I will check out those doctors

Dawn

m4guzman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:43 am »
hi

I am new to this group also.  I have a 1.5 cm in my left ear with some hearing loss.
I am trying to figure out how to post so I hope this works

I went to see Dr Roland in NYU on Monday and he wants to do "Middle Fossa" so I know he
does it.  My problem is everyone else wants to do restosig,   Just one more desision.

Good luck
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery