Author Topic: CK vs. GK Deciding Factor  (Read 2541 times)

debw

CK vs. GK Deciding Factor
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:15:30 pm »
I was diagnosed with 1.2 cm left side AN in August, 2008.  This forum has been immensely helpful and informative.  Having pretty much ruled out surgery at this point, I have spent a tremendous amount of time researching radiosurgery options and spoken to both CK and GK facilities about treatment after they have evaulated of my MRI and medical records.  Each has there own set of facts, statistics, and reasons why either CK or GK is the "best" treatment option.  I believe my AN is increasing in size due to balance, hearing and facial nerve issues and want to be sure I make the best decision for my circumstances.  What was the deciding factor for those who have either completed radiation treatments or have made the decision and are scheduled for treatment?  Was it radiation dosage, the specific treatment facility and staff, location of facility, head frame vs. the mesh mask, stats on side effects, insurance issues, etc?  I can point and counter point this choice endlessly and every medical staff has differing opinions.  How and when did you know that either CK or GK was your treatment choice?  I certainly respect everyone's point of view and appreciate everyone sharing their experiences in order to help others through this process.

Mark

Re: CK vs. GK Deciding Factor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:41:47 pm »
Pretty straightforward in my view.

If you have hearing to preserve, Ck can be done in fractions and GK can not. GK in one dose has about a 50-60% hearing retention record while 3 fraction CK is about 75%

If you have no hearing to preserve, fractions are less important and either machine can do one dose. GK requires a halo to be screwed into the skull while CK requires only a mesh mask and delivers slightly better accuracy. So the issue here is comfort.

At the end , both can be effective, but the items above are the key differentiators

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:04:57 pm »
In my case it was the facility and Doctor (Dr. Chang at Stanford); the better hearing preservation rate; and the no bolts required head restraint. They are both good systems.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NE Farmwife

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:59:56 pm »
I really didn't get into the technical part in making my decision even though I had read a lot of what was posted here.  I have some hearing left and from what I had read, CK was best for preserving it.  They just started doing CK in our state in November, but they hadn't done anyone with a brain tumor yet so I really didn't want to be the first.  I would have had to travel out of state to have either CK or GK done and from what everyone had posted on here, Stanford and Dr. Chang was my first choice.  I had heard that the Cyberknife was invented at Stanford and they currently have two of them in use. From my experience the CK mask was not bad at all but the GK head restraint probably wouldn't have bothered me much either.  I had a phone consult with Dr. Chang and he was very positive about me having CK done.  I had a phone consult with House and they also thought that the GK, which is what they use, was a good alternative to surgery.  I felt lthat since House mostly does surgery, that doing GK was not their first choice of treatment.  That was just my feeling about it. 

My husband and I had never been to California before and we don't travel much, so for us to make the decision to go that far, (I live in the midwest) was a pretty major decision for us.  There was a point where a decision had to be made and I didn't really think that knowing anymore was going to make a difference.  In fact, after it was made, it was like a big relief and life could go forward.  I found out iabout my AN n November and had to deal with Thanksgiving and Christmas in the midst of making my deicison so it was just kind of a crazy time to be burdened with AN.

Best of luck in making your decision.  Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.
Diagnosed 11/11/2008   2.2 cm
CK at Stanford 01/12/2008
Facial numbness, hearing loss, lack of taste and tinnitis

Tisha

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:20:44 am »
I went to Stanford, receiving my CK radiation the same time as NE farmwife!  My decisions were hearing preservation, which mine is still extremely good, so for me CK was the way to go.  Then after that, it was choosing the facility.  I decided to go with the most experienced team in the country for CK treatment (and who better than the ones who developed CK!).  I liked that Dr. Chang responded to my letter immediately.  I felt very comfortable with him and of course, all the glowing reviews.  I liked that they put out studies and statistics. 

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 06:03:16 pm »
My choice came about this way.  Found a doc who did all three....GK,CK,Surgery.  His credentials were good.  He trained at Stanford to do CK and Pittsburgh to do GK.  He didn't think my tiny AN was appropriate for surgery.  My doc preferred GK for ANs....just his opinion.  I also wanted to have follow-up care that is local.  I had good hearing before GK, and my recent hearing test says no change.  Same with balance.  MRI at three months said the AN is already shrinking.  Everyone is different.  Have to go with your gut.  Best wishes!   Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs