Author Topic: AN Book (Need stories ...)  (Read 10713 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: AN Book (Need stories ...)
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 08:34:30 am »
I have to apologize to everyone for my non-response on this subject of late. I just, last week, had GK done so that's been my focus over the past few months. While the original book concept was exciting for me, it became extremely overwhelming at a rapid rate. Within a month of sending this out I had close to 30 folks willing to contribute which was great, but some also wanted to know specifics which I could not provide. I've never written or published a book, so I've never really known how the publishing side works. I was just a guy with an idea.

When people started asking me to write up a contract to determine who receives what percentage of profits, I decided to put this on hold. This idea was never about profits and the business side became too much for me to deal with. I just wanted to share my story. The whole publishing process can take years and there is some expense to it. I didn't feel I could deliver what people were looking for. One person actually sent me a story and said, "here's my 5 pages, you can send royalty checks to this address."

The reality of this project is that it would probably take years, time and money to make happen. We'd probably never make a penny from it and the chances of being published are similar to those of being struck by lighting.

I enjoy writing, so I've continued to write and chronical my AN journey. At last count, I had about 15,000 words. After doing the math, I realized that a 100-page book is about 25,000 words. With that said, I've continued to write in the hopes of completing my "story." It will probably never become a book per se, but I'd like to complete it and have it printed and bound if for only me to have a copy of my "story" to keep on my bookshelf. I also want to have it to share with anyone who's interested.

If I do complete this, it may be worth a shot to send it to a publishing house and let them decide if they want to pick it up.  In order to really be considered a "book" that's worthwile for AN newbies to read. Other than my story, what would be worthwile to include? I don't want this to be a reference, that's what Dr's are for. I'd prefer it be the patients voice. Not the Doctors and the medical books.

I thought that if any of you were interested in contributing a 1-page letter of advice for "newbies" I could add a section in the back that is something like "Letters from AN Survivors" and then maybe have 10 or 20 simple letters with advice and encouragement. I don't know, just a thought.

I can't promise fame & fortune, but if this ever comes to completion at least you could print a copy for your bookshelf. I'd love your feedback/ideas and if any of you are interested in proofreading my "story" as I finish the draft, let me know. Your opinion is the one that matters to me.

Thanks

FlyersFan68

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
I always liked the book idea too but not so much for the newly diagnosed. There can always be a chapter devoted for the newly diagnosed.
It would be nice for people that are either friends or married to someone that has an acoustic neuroma so they can properly understand the mental and physical impacts before and after treatment.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:11 pm »
Scottie,

My girlfriend "self-published" her book chronicleing her life circumnavigating the globe with her husband aboard their small sailboat.  Email me if you would like more info on this subject. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 01:39:09 pm »

... ever think about a web page !!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

TP

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 06:16:50 pm »
Please write a book and if you need any "stuff" for it, please let me know, I would love to share my story to help someone and I don't expect anything in return.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 01:31:55 pm »
Hi Scottie,

Don't blame you for changing your plans on the book idea.  Awfully big project to take on. However, I'm glad you brought this project up because it helped me to write out my story. Pretty good therapy I think!  So, everyone, this is a good class assignment.  Write up at least 5 pages about your AN experience and don't send it to Scottie 'cause he has enough on his plate...but save it for your own memoirs.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 01:44:04 pm »
It is nice to have a memoir of your "story," and that's why I'm continuing to write mine. Someday my daughter will read it and understand what I was going through around the time she was born. I even read now what I wrote immediatly after my first surgery and it really takes me back. It's great to forget about it all, but also sometimes good to remember. Sue, I may have a 1-page assignment for you yet, I'll email you about it.   :)

FlyersFan68

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 02:40:31 pm »
Hey if the book doesn't happen then so be it...You still have the great "patient network"   http://www.patient-network.com/

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 03:04:50 pm »
Thanks for the plug, that site has been dying a slow death, it'd be nice if people used it   :)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 03:54:44 pm »
will do scottie

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 10:03:29 pm »
Gees Scott, I'm really surprised that contracts and royalties were mentioned at all. Yikes.  I was thinking along the lines that the ANA should publish it as a fundraiser for more research, awareness..

As memoirs are a hot ticket- you definately should do  your own- gosh buddy you've been through it all!

Take care of yourself- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Juliette

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 07:16:32 am »
Hi
Am new here and I really like the idea of the book. Don't stop yourself from doing this because some people want to get money out of it, do it for yourself...
By the way i have an interesting story and willing to give it to you just to help people fell better about them self and this AN. I was diagnose in march 2007 af a 3cm by 3.2 cm An and I am now pregnant and they want to operate as soon as possible even whit the baby. Am from canada and our health system doesn't work like your so my options our retraint. If you want more info just contact me.
And keep up the good work.
A book like this is highly necesary.
Julie ;)
31 years old
3,2cm x 3 cm AN diagnose in march 2007
translab surgery on 0ctober 17, 2008 in CHUM à montreal
with BAHA

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »
Scott, I enjoyed reading your journey about a possible book, and how it evolved to deciding to chronicle your story for your own reference. I agree with others that writing it out is very therapeutic.

Back nine years ago while still "raw and fragile" for the surgery and recovery issues, I took a writing class at my local community college. One of the articles was about my then recent AN experience, complete with humorous observations about the hospital staff.

To this day, it is fun to read, when I happen to find it when going through old stuff. Write on, all!

Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »
Did you ever write your book?

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.