Author Topic: Help with knowing what my implant will be??  (Read 5512 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Help with knowing what my implant will be??
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:12:19 pm »
Okay, so I'm scheduled for my implant for the Baha or something I'm assuming is a Baha.  That is what I tried on in the office.  I called today to see what I was actually getting they told me and I qoute, "Nucleus C1512 sound 5 processor.  She made it sound like this what they order all the time for all their Baha patients.  When I tried googling this to see which Baha or Pronto, etc is what, I get a totally different looking thing all together.  Do they not understand my question when I called or am I researching the wrong thing?
Does anyone happen to have a box or instructions or anything that reads any of this?  I'm getting nervous now that I'm not getting what I thought.  I was sent home with a Baha information form and it shows the little brown square little one, no other name other than Baha. 
My husband thinks I should call back tomorrow and get it cleared up, I will worry until then if I don't.  Anyone have any helpful info so I breath easier?
Thanks for always listening to my rants....
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Help with knowing what my implant will be??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:44:42 am »
Okay, so I'm scheduled for my implant for the Baha or something I'm assuming is a Baha.  That is what I tried on in the office.  I called today to see what I was actually getting they told me and I qoute, "Nucleus C1512 sound 5 processor.  She made it sound like this what they order all the time for all their Baha patients.  When I tried googling this to see which Baha or Pronto, etc is what, I get a totally different looking thing all together.  Do they not understand my question when I called or am I researching the wrong thing?
Does anyone happen to have a box or instructions or anything that reads any of this?  I'm getting nervous now that I'm not getting what I thought.  I was sent home with a Baha information form and it shows the little brown square little one, no other name other than Baha.  
My husband thinks I should call back tomorrow and get it cleared up, I will worry until then if I don't.  Anyone have any helpful info so I breath easier?
Thanks for always listening to my rants....
Susan

It don't sound like those people know what they are talking about.  "Nucleus C1512 sound 5 processor" is a Cochlear Implant.  They must have the information mixed up.  Want to know more about Baha, see here; BP100, Baha Intesno or Oticon Ponto System.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:00:47 am »
Susan,

Chances are, the people who answer the phone have no idea the difference between the different types of hearing aids.  I would make sure to get this cleared up with the doctor who is doing the surgery to make sure you're both on the same page.  You want to make sure he's implanting what you agreed to have implanted!

I'd call back today and make sure to ask for the doctor.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:00:31 am »
I agree with Lori, you should definitely call the office again and make sure you are scheduled for the correct surgery. If the office isn't sure, then insist on speaking with your doctor. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:54:29 am »
Sue -

Ken is right.  The Nucleus C1512 sound 5 processor is a CI (Cochlear Implant) not a BAHA.

Being SSD you definitely don't want - or need - a CI.  And the surgery is completely different, so you need to get this straightened out.

I don't know who you called - the doc's office?, the insurance company? - but you need to call again and make sure you are getting a BAHA implant.

If you are going with a Cochlear product - your processor will be either the BP100 or the Intenso.

If you are going with an Oticon product - your processor will be either the Ponto or the Ponto Pro.

Cochlear processors are rectangular and come in different colors (black, brown, grey, white, etc).  Oticon processors are shaped like a comma (round top and curved tail) and also come in different colors.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:18:12 pm »
Thanks everybody, I called back today and it's the BP100 that I will be getting.  They thought I was getting a cochlear implant and not a BAHA.  They just told me the one that they always order for that surgery.  They checked my chart and all is okay. 
Thanks for the help and I feel much better knowing that I'm all set to go now.  Surgery scheduled on October 27 for the screwing.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:09:44 am »
Glad to hear you straightened things out.

The BP100 is a Cochlear product which is probably where the confusion lies.

Lots of people don't realize that Cochlear makes more than Cochlear Implants; they also make BAHA implants.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

robbiekay

• Success is a Journey not a Destination
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »
WOW...  so happy to find this forum.  I had Fractionated Gama Knife surgery done on a 3cm AN in 2001 at Brown University by Dr Georg Noren.  I was the 8th person to have the FGA and am very happy with the results.  I have been left with severe tinnitus and lost the remaining hearing, which wasn't very good, in the left ear.  Being SSD, I am scheduled for a BAHA on Nov 30....  I will be getting the Pronto Plus...  anyone have any experience with this new devise?
AN 3cm diagnosed in 2000 Fractionated Gamma Knife Surgery at Brown in RI /Dr Georg Noren - Great results, Crazy Tinnitus, TRT with Dr Nagler in Atlanta, GA failed in 2005 when diagnosed as SSD STILL crazy Tinnitus
Waiting for my BAHA - did I say CRAZY TINNITUS?

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:20:26 pm »
Being SSD, I am scheduled for a BAHA on Nov 30....  I will be getting the Pronto Plus...  anyone have any experience with this new devise?

You might find some people with Pronto Pro here at this BUSK forum.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 08:47:16 pm »
robbiekay -

most of us on the Forum have Cochlear processors - the BP100/BP3, Divino, or Intenso.

I think that Kris (ksiwek) was contemplating an Oticon product - Ponto or Ponto Pro - but I don't know what she ultimately decided.

The only experience I personally had with the Ponto Pro was that I demo'd it about a year ago.  I demo'd the BP100 at the same time.  I found the two devices comparable, but ultimately decided on the Cochlear product (BP100) since I already own one of their processors (Divino) that I'm very happy with.  I also chose Cochlear again because I'm a Cochlear volunteer, and rather "sold" on the company.

Good luck with your surgery, and I hope you like your Ponto Pro  ;D  BAHAs are fabulous!!

Jan