Author Topic: Balance Questions  (Read 4160 times)

mandy721

Balance Questions
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:54:09 am »
Is there any correlation between how much balance there is in AN ear and post-surgery balance issues?  My husband balance test on Thursday indicated that he had still has about about  50% of his balance in the AN ear.  He thought it would be much less and thinks he has very bad balance based on his attempts to do certain yoga postures!  From my perspective his current balance isn't so bad.  Now I am worried about balance issues after surgery on Aug.4.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Balance Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 02:21:29 pm »
Mandy ....

I am not a doctor, but from my research on acoustic neuromas (vestibular schwannomas) and the results on one's balance, when removing an AN the vestibular nerve is removed on that side as well.  Normally the opposite side with the good vestibular nerve takes over the entire function and the brain retrains itself to interpret the one-sided good signal.  However, if your husband's AN side vestibular nerve is operating at 50%, it means he is getting erratic signals from that side, which confuses the brain.  Many AN patients have found that their balance is greatly improved after surgery (and after the retraining of the brain) because they have one good signal instead of one and a poor half.

Others will clarify here, I am sure.

Thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »

Balance will actually seems worse after sugery (I'm assuming trans-lab)   I was on a walker for about 3 weeks after surgery... but with re-learning balance with one ear... it does become better... than the mixed up drunkin feeling I had pre-o -  will be gone.  Today.. I enjoy getting out and kayaking every change I get....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

mandy721

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:49:20 pm »
He is having retro.  Based on the size of the tumor he really thought the balance in the ear was shot.  T  Tomorrow when he speaks to the doctor, he is going to ask what he might expect after surgery with the balance issue.  Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:39:17 am »
I had retro and my balance wasn't good post op.  It did improve in time though - the body adapts.

My doc gave me vestibular exercises to do before and after surgery and they really helped.  In addition, he offered to send me to a PT post op, but I didn't think I needed that, so I declined.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »
Hi,

I think it would be reasonable to expect some balance issues after surgery. But as many have said before. Things will eventually improve. I wish you luck.

Best regards, Kenneth

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »
Mandy ~

Your husband's equilibrium will undoubtedly be impacted by his AN surgery but it can and does improve, with time, (balance) exercises and a lot of patience.  The brain has to re-learn to regulate balance with input from only one side (ear).  We wish him all the best as his surgery date draws near (Tuesday).  He'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:01:29 pm »
Hi Mandy
I has retro as well and though I was a little shaky right after surgery,it greatly improved over time and I think my balance is even better than pre op....even my yoga teacher thinks that!

Erin

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:15 pm »
my balance was a little off in my AN ear pre-op...especially when on one foot.  my surgeon told me before surgery that i probably wouldn't notice much difference or dizziness since my body had taken the better part of 8 years to adjust to the issue.  He was right on.  My right side had compensated for so long that once my surgery was over, my balance wasn't affected (except a little wobbly for the first month of recovery) and then back to normal for me. Dizziness not an issue either. 
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.