Author Topic: Hello from a Newb.  (Read 3911 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Re: Hello from a Newb.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 09:31:32 pm »
Cheryl : i'm a Junior college teacher. and i have ssd on rt side. here's a trick or two i learned.

1. i told my kids, 19 to 30 year olds mostly i am deaf on rt side BUT on my time off i learned to read lips REAL good from commercials, and TV and wife.

i can now see what they are saying almost as well as i can hear them. i have also found my way of zeroing in on a conversation way in the back of the room, where i don't think i had that capability with 2 ears.

takes some practice. restaurants are good for that. now one down side for me hearing wize is large noisy places, like BIG malls right now, or airplane terminals actually over floods my one side hearing.

The body does amazing things with what it has left to us .  LOL  :)
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

opp2

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 07:42:23 am »
Hi Jayson, just yesterday I was placed on restricted duty, voluntarily, due to my difficulties walking on some occasions. I am truly blessed to have worked as a police officer for 15 years and I cried every time I had to come off the road when I was pregnant and I cried yesterday too.

This time though there is no end in sight. No saying I'm going to be back in 18 or 15 months. For me it is a matter of safety for my team, safety for me, safety for the public.

I struggle every day wondering what I will do if I can't go back to the road. I feel your loss.

I wish you PEACE.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jayson

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:11:22 am »
Nikki,

I know what you mean.  I too know that I must place the safety of the people in those airplanes above even my great desire to go back to my old job.  Being able to hear what is going on is vital in our jobs.  Something I've taken for granted all my career.  I know God will lead me to where I am suppose to be.

Thanks for the thought

Jay
Diagnosed 1.5cm AN  right ear 2/09
Middle Fossa 3/18/09 at House Ear Clinic
Dr. Brackman Shwartz and Stefan.
Complete Hearing loss in right ear
Other side effects were minimal.  Doing just fine!

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 11:43:23 am »
Jayson (and Nikki, and all),

Job changes happen to lots of people, even without an AN to speed the process along. It is often the case that as you get older, you find that you have become  knowledgeable and experienced and wise, but have lost a little of that youthful edge. Shifting into positions of managing, planning, training, coordinating, and advising is a natural progression in many careers. Switching to a "desk job" can feel like a let down, but it is a fact that when you were "front line," you relied on someone else at a desk to manage a lot of things for you behind the scenes. Now it is your turn.  ;)

At one point in an earlier life I took classes to be certified as a high school teacher. One of our professors reminded us of the old saying "those who cannot do, teach," and added that "those who cannot teach, teach teachers." Moving on from player to coach can be a rewarding experience, and is a vital part of what makes our whole system work. You should be proud of your experience and accomplishments, and now seek out ways to share that with the newbies and bring them along too. Okay, class dismissed. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 08:50:03 am »
You are definitely not a big baby my heart goes out to you it is understandable you loved your job and I hope you can adjust to the new one.  Don't forget you are still trying to adjust also to a new lifestyle on top of a new job and that is very difficult.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.