Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Physicians / Seeking advice for finding surgical teams
« Last post by TWMD on April 08, 2024, 11:34:22 am »
Hi. My daughter who is in her mid 20s was just discovered (via MRI) to have a 27x29x25mm tumor that radiologist and a neurosugeon have said is most likely a VS. I'm trying to identify other doctors to consult. She's currently in Atlanta, and has spoken to a neurosurgeon (Jeffery Olson) at Emory (and will talk to a neuro ENT there this week), since that's where she lives and where her MRI was done. She has a video appointment with Henry Brem at Hopkins later this week, and we've requested a consult with Friedman/Schwartz team at UCSD. At first Hopkins seemed  most convenient since we live nearby and she could recover from surgery with us, but after reading the forums, it sound like it's not critical to be close by the surgery location for the recovery period. So we're really open to other suggestions of teams/hospitals.  She already has severe hearing loss in one ear, but no other symptoms. Where/who else should we consider? Mayo? Other east coast/mid-atlantic area hospitals? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hello,
I had surgery for my acoustic neuroma (translab procedure, total resection of tumor) about 5 months ago, after 2.5 years of symptoms. My symptoms were fairly similar to yours, generally. I'm sorry you are in this predicament, with all its symptoms, their many effects on day-day life, and the stress of the whole situation.

I would like to offer three thoughts that might be of value.
1- You are wrestling with symptoms that are very difficult, but just so you know, some of them can improve over time. Tinnitus often becomes less bothersome, for instance. Single-sided hearing can become a normal part of life. Balance issues can be improved by treatment (surgery) and time, and working with a qualified physical therapist who understands the condition.

And, stress is often much less after a successful treatment.

So, please know that often times, after treatment, life usually does get better, even though the acoustic neuroma does change your life. I'm speaking very generally, but many people on this chatboard have remarked that "before treatment" is the most stressful time. Take hope from that and look ahead to when you are "post-treatment". Life does go on, and it is still sweet.

2- Research support forums/organizations/referrals (especially in your home country) that may help you be able to locate the best expert surgeons for treatment of this rare condition.

3- Have a qualified medical doctor, who has a record of success and excellence in treating acoustic neuromas, help you make a medical plan. Nothing may be quite as important, right now, as your choosing the right medical team to help you make your plan.

All of us wish you well.

Eye Issues / Any other cycclists out there???
« Last post by cherylann on April 07, 2024, 04:40:57 pm »
Hello fellow AN warriors... I have been back on my bike for a few months and notice that when I ride into the wind and it's below 45 degrees or so my eyelid "freezes" up and I am unable to blink- and causes me to see double. Frustrating for sure during parts of my ride...as the morning warms up or I turn my back to the wind, my vision/eyelid/blinking ability return to normal.  WHAT is going on??? Thanks!!
AN Research / Re: Drug therapy for VS (2021)
« Last post by donjehle on April 06, 2024, 07:13:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing research on Vestibular Schwannomas, Michele!
You add value to our forums!
Hearing Issues / Re: Please share your pre & post-treatment hearing loss stories
« Last post by donjehle on April 06, 2024, 07:06:49 pm »
That's hilarious!  I broke out in laughter.  If I had an African Grey Parrot, I'm sure it would also pick up on "What did you say?"  I sure say it enough!
Inquiries / Re: New implant screw, new abutment, recent surgery
« Last post by donjehle on April 06, 2024, 07:01:14 pm »
Thanks for that helpful update!
Hearing Issues / Re: Please share your pre & post-treatment hearing loss stories
« Last post by james e on April 05, 2024, 08:08:05 pm »
Well, I have a funny story. I own an African Grey Parrot and they mimic voices. Actually the parrot owns me. He is totally attached to me and mimics my voice exactly. Not knowing I had an AN, he picked up on me saying “what did you say?”

I had no idea I was saying what did you say so often. I was almost totally deaf in my bad ear and he picked up on it pretty fast. I had a traslab since there was no hearing to save.

I started trying to get him to say “Yahoo, dad’s home.” Every time I walked in after work he started yelling Yahoo, dad’s home.
Inquiries / Re: New implant screw, new abutment, recent surgery
« Last post by james e on April 05, 2024, 07:47:59 pm »
Today is one week since my surgery. Similar to my original BAHA surgery, a “healing pad” or compression bandage was snapped onto my new abutment. It keeps a bandage compressed against the surgical site to reduce any bleeding. After 5 days I removed the healing pad from the abutment. Could not wash my hair all that time and that was driving me crazy, but a small price to pay.

There was almost no bleeding on the bandage. I have very minor swelling of my scalp just above the new abutment. I only took 1/2 tablet of codeine last Friday and have had zero pain since then. I have to use peroxide twice a day to clean the area and apply an antibiotic ointment after the cleaning.

Dr Kutz at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas did my surgery. Hopes this info helps someone.
Pre-Treatment Options / Re: Another Newbie
« Last post by Angela330 on April 05, 2024, 09:26:08 am »
There is life after this diagnosis.

My story began with experiencing dry mouth.  I had no hearing loss. My initial doctor thought I had a pinched nerve and put me on gabapentin.  When I started to have balance issues I thought it was from the gabapentin.  I ended up taking myself off of gabapentin and changing primary doctors.  I was lucky my new primary doctor was aggressive and ordered an MRI in December, 2018.  I had a very large AN (4.3cmx3.4cm on left side)  and hydrocephalus.  Time was not on my side as I was deteriorating very quickly. My initial appointment with Dr. Kim was January 29th.  I had a 12 hour surgery on February 18, 2019 to remove and spent 7 days in Neuro-ICU to monitor the water on my brain (I was lucky and my body was able to regulate this after surgery) I then spent 1 day in regular hospital bed and because I was doing so well I came directly home. I do have a residual tumor that I have regular MRIs to monitor.  I just had my 7th MRI & it showed no growth, so my next MRI is in 3 years.

Recovery that first year was rough but I learned to be patient with myself as adjusted to my new Normal.  I no longer have dry mouth but my eye on my left side doesn't tear now.  I have adjusted to having SSD and currently looking at getting implant to help me with that issue. I have no balance issues but I regularly do balance exercises and Yoga. 

Last year, I was able to hike partially down the Grand Canyon (I did 7 miles round trip). I also did Tom's Thumbs and several other hikes around Scottsdale, AZ. My husband and I have been working on hiking the Katy Trail and will going to Yellowstone at the end of April. 

As scary as this all is, I do believe it's important to stay positive and take one day at a time.  I wish you all the best. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10