Author Topic: Phyl's Column in ANA Newsletter  (Read 22027 times)

lori67

Re: Phyl's Column in ANA Newsletter
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2008, 12:48:19 pm »
Well, Jan, I don't know.  If you decide to wear that weird beret, we might not want to hang out with you!  :D  Hopefully Steve will be done knitting your hat by then!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2008, 04:52:12 pm »
You know, I just threw out my beret yesterday.  Don't know what made me wait so long.  I must have been more attached to it than I originally thought  ;D

I'm hoping Steve comes through with the knit hat by next August.  No word from him recently  :( 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2008, 11:20:28 pm »
Gee whiz, its only been three days or so, I didn't realize there was a commitment involved...  ;)

So it's going to be a Red Sox vs Cubs game, even though they are in different leagues? Boy, that Oprah is really good at pulling strings...

Speaking of pulling strings, I have yet to start knitting any hats. Are you sure you want a hot woolly beanie in the middle of August? I think maybe a yarmulke is more like it - isn't that pretty much a doily with a little dent in it?  :)

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 05:36:27 am »
Darn, do we have to wear hats?  I guess since I'll be coming for my first one from Texas I can wear a cowboy hat!  Hopefully by then this bad haircut will have grown out!!!  Steve, do you knit cowboy hats, too?
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Glenda

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:12 pm »
Oh my...  I've been missing out on this thread..... I may have to see about coming to the symposium too

Oprah, Ballgame and Steve knitting hats.......Wow how exciting  ;D

Maybe Oprah would consider flying us all to the symposium and giving us a little spending money too... I could come for sure then :D

I'll be hanging onto this thread.....

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 02:52:30 pm »
Glenda -

there have been promises of brunch and drinks, also  ;D

So definitely put the symposium on your list of things to do in 2009.  It would be great to see you there!

The more, the merrier,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 03:06:31 pm »
Whew, poor Steve is going to have to find a Carpal Tunnel Forum after knitting all these hats...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 04:23:05 pm »
Last symposium I passed out 3 dozen pirate bandannas to people not to mention the 3 dozen I sent to forum members as "uniforms."  It was easy to spot folks.  I found Batty P right off the bat by her PBW T shirt! We never did find "Flyersfan", though, but we found just about everyone else.  We need Oprah to have Mark Ruffalo on the Oprah show to tell his story, and then all of us there for support and she needs to "Give Big" and buy us all transears which we will have fitted on our cruise! Nice fantasty huh?

Also, the band at the last Symposium put me to sleep.  If we're going to have loud, let's go all the way and get Crazycat and his band! Rawk On!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 09:18:13 pm »
Mark Ruffalo on Oprah is a fantastic idea!

We could ask her to do a whole "AN" theme and talk about the symposium as well.

I'll let Steve off the hook for my knitted hat, if I can have a pirate bandanna   ;)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2008, 08:59:32 pm »
I wonder how long it would take me to drive to Chicago??? have a fear of flying ...and it makes my
arms hurt...

This sound like a fun trip but probably couldn't swing it ... but nice to dream

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:36 pm »
Soundy -

maybe we can lobby the ANA to have the 2011 Symposium in your neck of the woods.

If we start our campaign now, we might be able to convince them.  I'd imagine they haven't picked a location that far in advance, but I could be wrong.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2008, 07:46:13 am »
I just told Dave the other day that we (or at least me) might have to go to Chicage in August of '09.  Sounds like a blast to me if you guys are all there...Jan, are we all having a slumber party at your house??  He ask me about the actual symposium - I told him I didn't know a thing about it - that I was just in for the baseball game, Oprah show, drinks, hats, & whatever else there was!!!   :D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2008, 08:02:34 am »
Mark Ruffalo on Oprah is a fantastic idea!

We could ask her to do a whole "AN" theme and talk about the symposium as well.

I'll let Steve off the hook for my knitted hat, if I can have a pirate bandanna   ;)

When I emailed the Oprah Show, I asked about having Mark Ruffalo on as a special guest, so that people can see that no one is immune, plus maybe he could get a special invitation to the Symposium?  Phyl??

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Cheryl R

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2008, 08:36:52 am »
 I looked on the home page for info about the last symposium so you might get a view of what goes on but they have removed it and just tells the date for the next one.             
A typical symposium starts on noon or so Fri with a general session to the whole group.    Later there are the small group sessions on varied topics and you have picked out ahead which one you want to attend.   The Hospitality room is open in the am.         there also have  been some tours and non AN related events in the AM.       Fri night is free although they do have group sessions where one can just meet and talk about your own experience with ANs.      Sat am is a breakfast and more large general sessions and then later the small group ones again on varied topics.    Lunch is provided and more sessions.     That evening is a banquet.       Sun am has varied with either breakfast or a later brunch and more sessions of both types.             
We have always came on Thurs and then stayed over for a few days to dosightseeing.   They usually give you the discounted room rate for a few days for that purpose.   
We did not rent a car for the Anaheim or Philadelphia but just used shuttle or taxi to the hotel.   We did rent a car for the Orlando one and it has all worked out well.                 We are from a rather rural area so not used to alot of large city driving. 
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2008, 12:40:48 pm »
Sounds like fun...

hmmmmmmmmmmm Nashville ...Huntsville Alabama or Birmingham sounds good as a location

My husband told me Chicago isn't really that far away to drive ...this from a man that will hardly go to Huntsville
with us because it is toooooooo far from home ....45 minute drive away ...

living in the sticks I am not real used to or fond of driving in big cities... I have found my way including side
streets to get from doctor to doctor in Nashville and don't do alot of rambling about Huntsville either ... just right to
where I want to go and back... and most trips come back thinking there is probably something there I would like to
see or places I would like to go if it was not for driving around to find them
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery