Author Topic: Fosamax pills  (Read 4169 times)

Boppie

Fosamax pills
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:41:26 am »
Okay ladies,  This is my situation... My last three scans show me slowly sinking into osteopenia.  My mom, grandmother, and great grand have (had) humps on their backs.  Now my PCP is not in favor of me having Fosamax at my age 65.  Why? he believes in the calcium/exercise thing.  So, I don't do extra exercise, I just go about my life in a very basy way, never hire a maid, do repairs, construction, cleaning, gardening, and other stuff I want to do, even still climb ladders (when everybody around here quivers).  I really can't load up on the calcium tablets since I get worse IBS.  In fact IBS is my only trouble spot. ;D

What to do?  I sure would like to go natural all the way into the end.  At least I don't have a doctor who po poo's the natural route.  He just says, we all get old.  I can buy that!

I sure hated hearing that HRT was harming women several years back.  I did that routine for 6-7 years and the news scared the stuffing out of me.  So, what to do about Adronel and Boniva?

Boppie

Re: Fosamax pills
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:00:25 am »
This is my second post to my own topic here.  I am trying to stay on topic by (cut/paste) this personal message here instead of in the General An Related Issues.

I too have had apprehension about taking Fosamax and have not yet started on it.  On the plus side, my 87 year old mother began taking Fosamax 10 years ago and stopped some fairly bad pain in her spine due to osteo.  She is still going and not complaining about her back today.  Fosamax (actonel) has probably gotten her through the last 10 years in fairly good bone health.  She gets shorter and her spine looks bad at the top but she has no pain, no complications, and no broken bones.  She has had a few tip overs from poor balance (walked on hilly terrain) but no bones broke.

My mother-in-law is 94.  She is getting shorter.  Her hips and back hurt all of the time.  She will not swallow pills, doesn't drink water, and is convinced her pain is from arthritis.  There is no way we can get her to take Fosamax.  But at 94 why nag about it?  She's the pink bunny, just keeps on going.  Drives a big car and shops on her own.  She was mugged in front of a Biggs store and lost her big handbag to the guy.  The handbag tore her arm to pieces and she needed 22 stitches, but no broken bones.  At least she didn't fall down.  Like I said she's the pink bunny.  What genes!

Both of these women live alone in houses with basements where the laundry is.  The 94 year old hangs her clothes on a line.  Is this a lesson for all of us? 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 02:41:30 am »
Yes, Boppie, I think so!  Yeah, I don't know what to do about the Fosamax thing also.  It's pretty terrible when you are afraid of the thing that might make you better.  Everything has side effects.  Bummer

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:54:41 am »
Boppie,
I have a couple of friends who take Boniva and are very impressed with it.  Neither have side affects and feel great.  I personally take HRT, because the benefits outway the risks for me and I am a breast cancer survivor with both eyes open going in.  I was on Premarin for about four years when I read about the way they got the stuff that goes into it.  I quit taking it.  I felt horrible for several years and then I decided that I would take it again and I figure that it is just payback for every horse I have ever been thrown from or kicked by and there have been plenty.  I will say that right now I have developed a case of the tremors and we are trying to figure out where they are coming from.  Probably all the other meds I'm on. 
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:36:17 am »
I used to do the actonel but had trouble remembering to take it once a week so was switched to boniva.  I haven't had any problems other then trying to remember when to take it.   :-\  Funny I have osteopenia and drink milk take calcium but my mom doens't have a problem and she doesn't touch milk and only drinks diet coke.  AN related?  Hmm....

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 05:52:05 pm »
Boppie, have you tried Viactive chocci chews? they are great--CVS makes their own store brand and they are cheaper. I love 'em. My dentist says my bones are in great shape, but my GYN just ordered a bone density scan for me and I get the results next week.  I think my bones are good cuz of all the seawater I marinated myself in for years and years.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:20:20 pm »
 Thanks Deb, I'll get me some of those chocci things!  I tried the vanilla ones.  They are good!

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:22:18 pm »
you can get free samples of the viactin v online at wal mart.com

I like the carmel and vanilla and milk chocolate and strawberry the best  LOL  In other words none I've tried so far taste bad.  It's like eatting a forbidden caramel chew  ::)

rezski

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »
I also have osteopenia and have been taking Miacalcin which is a nose spray. It been 4 years or so.  My bone density has improved.  I do exercize and take Tums for calcium as well.  I also have Crohn's disease so Fosamax or similar drugs were not an option due to possible stomach upset.
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW