Author Topic: i am in love with a heating pad  (Read 6005 times)

carter

i am in love with a heating pad
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:20 pm »
this may be old news?????   at 5 to 6 weeks after ck.... i have stiff neck on  a fairly regular basis and a few aches in joints.  the fatigue is better.  but tonight i had  very stiff neck and the wife drug out a chemical pack heater for the neck.  this heat ahs relaxed me beyond imaginantion.... the warmth is nice.  you might try it
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: i am in love with a heating pad
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:10:23 pm »
Carter:

My heating pad is my best friend. I keep it by my bed at night because I often wake up with a stiff neck and sometimes a headache. Early this morning I woke up with a nasty headache so painful that ir made me cry. The heat does wonders for my headaches. It relaxes the muscles or nerves and usually within 20-30 minutes, the pain is gone.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:22:37 pm »
Being in love with a heating pad sounds perfectly normal to me, but then again, you are on a brain tumor forum.   ;D
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

carter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:04:01 pm »
i was excited to have the relief ... i had to share the tip.   a simple pleasure?   but it did feel fine
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

salamander

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
After being home from the hospital for about a week, I randomly thought of my heating pad.  Now, 3 months out, I will not part with it.  It travels with me! 

So, to be in love, or not to be. . . . with an AN it is to be.

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:15:18 pm »
THE heating pad to be in love with is the Thermophore!  It gives you moist heat if you use it up against bucknekkid skin. Oooooo Aaaaahhhhh!!!!  Get one at a drugstore that sells orthopedic equipment and get the large size--a bit pricey, but can you put a price tag on true love?

Capt Deb P-)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

MamaGina

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »
I use heat for my head/neck pain also.  I use a rice sock.  My midwife had me make one for the labor of my 2nd child (natural childbirth).  I've always kept one around since then.  It's very cheap.  Just fill a large thick sock with cheap white rice. You can add lavender, cloves or whatever herbs you like, if you want to (not necessary).  Tie a knot in the end to close it off, if you can sew, then sew it shut.  Then if you want it moist, just wet your hand and rub it on the sock. To heat, microwave to your preference.  it fits nicely around the neck.  I move it all around my head, neck, ear-everything that's hurting.  Of course, you have to reheat it, but at least it's portable and doesn't carry the risk of burns that pads can sometimes have.  Mostly, I like the price.  Oh, you can use flax seeds to hold the heat longer, but they are more expensive.  I may try it sometime.  :)
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

JudyT

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:36:59 pm »
What a fabulous idea......very cost effective too. I've got rice and flaxseed in the house......surely there are a few "stray" socks.....(grandson) This is surely doable!!! I need about 10 of them and a bedside microwave and I'm in business!!!!!! Ha Ha........seriously this is a great idea. I'm going to do it tomorrow! I will report which is better rice or flaxseed. I have eucalyptus oil and fresh lavendar. I also simmer water on the stove and put in fresh eucalyptus.....it helps with dry eye and nose/sinus issues. I use a humidifier in my room with either ingredent......very helpful also.
Thanks for such jelpful info.

Judy
ps......cloves are good too!

Rc Moser

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:19:32 pm »
" I woke up with a nasty headache so painful that it made me cry"     Syl, I hate to hear that I have had few of thoughs also.  Head pain you can't seem to bare at the time, expect lie flat on you back in the dark with a ICE bag on you head. I had one that pounded for 14 hours. I thought I was going to die.   

I tried ICE bag, heating pad, RuB on, But, in the end lieing flat on my back, in the dark, with no NOISE, not grinding my teeth (tooth pain is pre-migraine for me or pain behind my right eye), taking pain pills every 4 to 6 hours in the end is the only thing that works for me when they make you cry. Also when I have bad migraines while lying in bed for who know how long when I can sleep I have nightmares.

ALso for use that have migraines we are twice as likely to have heart attacks, I think 5 times more likely to have a stroke, Not to mention the change of liver/kidney damage from all the pain pills.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

kbh1950

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 08:17:13 pm »
I too use heat for my headaches.  Eight years since surgery and it still is the best for pain.  I call it my "Bed Buddy".  I have some bought and I have some homemade.  They really help! ;)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:13:29 am »
Being a few weeks out from surgery, I went down to the orthopedic section of my basement to find my "Bed Buddy" (trademark name).  I fumbled around for it in the container and could not put my hand on it.  So, I pulled everything out of the box and found it lying lifeless at the bottom with chewed holes in it and all the contents gone!  So, when you put it away, put it in an airtight container!  Fortunately, my mom gave me a lovely pair of lavender scented booties and neck wrap for post-op.  I just didn't want to take them to the hospital and get them infected with germies.
Nancy
Ernie wannabee!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness