Author Topic: For those remembered from 7 yrs ago today -- 9/11  (Read 2213 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
For those remembered from 7 yrs ago today -- 9/11
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:09:41 am »
I have to sit back... and reflect on 7 yrs ago today.  Being based in Boston, all the local (being broadcast from Logan Airport) and national  and international "Breaking News" that came on over the tv's and internet.  To learn that one of my co-workers was on an American Airlines Flight departing at 8am but to San Francisco, not knowing if her plane was one of the hijacked planes (it took us 4 hours to confirm she was ok).... and to have blessings that Janice's plane was brought down in Kansas.. and she drove back to Boston with 3 others on her flight....  To know that my coworkers father (Dave Bernard) had just arrived in NYC from Boston, for a meeting at the WTC.....and was there in the midst of everything.  Dave was lost due to the horrific events of that day... and to this day, my heart sinks for Dave, Mark (my coworker) and his family.  To David DiMeglio, 22 yrs young, from my town, who was onboard one of the flights.... there is a lovely stone memorial at our lake commemorading his life. Iain and I had the honor of getting married next to the memorial, feeling David watching us. Each year, on my way to work, I stop at David's memorial with flowers, to mind him that he (and so many others) are not forgotten.

To those that lost someone 7 yrs ago today... for those affected by the events of 7 yrs ago.... know that, for me.... it is my reminder that those that perished or were permenantly affected by the tragic events.... it helps to bring me inner strength knowing so many gave of themselves selflessly... and for all I endure (physically/mentally) is so very miniscule in the grand picture... that I can forge forward knowing that I can gain strength from those that gave so much when faced with such horrors.

I take time today to remember all those that were lost... and know that their names... their lives.... will never be forgotten.

My prayers and wishes to all those affected by the events of 7 yrs ago....

Thanks for listening.
Phyl
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:18:36 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

Re: For those remembered from 7 yrs ago today -- 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:00:06 am »
Hi Phyl,
Like you today is always a day for reflection.  My husband is not a firefighter but works at headquarters of the New York Fire Department.  He called me (I was at home) right after the first plane hit the World Trade Center and I was watching when the second one hit and subsequently when each of the Twin Towers fell.  Most of the top brass from the FDNY were killed when the second tower fell.  It was a horrible feeling knowing they were gone.  My husband was devastated when he realized so many people he knew were gone.  We also lost a couple of mutual friends.  So many people we knew didn't make it to work or were delayed for one reason or another that day.  Whenever I drive over the Verrazanno Bridge (you can see the New York skyline from there) or drive along the part of the New Jersey Turnpike where you can see NYC I always think of that day.  I think it will always be with all of us.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:56:57 am »
Phyl,

Your post was beautiful and a wonderful tribute to your friend and coworker.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all on this tragic anniversary.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:45:12 am »
Phyl~
I loved what you wrote - so beautiful.  I tried to write more, but can't put what I want in words so I will just leave it at that.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 09:23:17 am »
Oh, Phyl...thanks.  It certainly does put everything in perspective...

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:23:29 am »
Phyl.  

Thank you for that.  It's so hard to believe it was 7 years ago, when it still feels like yesterday in so many ways.  Like Wendy said, there's not a time I go back home and don't think about how different the skyline looks without the Towers.  We had a beautiful view of the skyline from where I lived and it will never be the same.

I also lost an one of my very first high school boyfriends on one of the flights, and my husband lost two friends in the Pentagon that day.

I think the images of that day will be permanently etched in our minds.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »
I sat watching in shock and holding my them 2 and 4 year olds alot that day..

this morning my oldest was scared after seeing all the coverage and the younger was full of
questions I don't have answers for ...

I watched in the following weeks , people pull together to send medical personal , one of
our two local search and rescue dogs , and much of our rescue squad ...

we had to show we were not beaten by it ...

thoughts and prayers to all the families that lost people
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »
Phyl:

Thank you for the poignant reminder of what we lost on a beautiful late summer day, 7 years ago. 

Although I did not suffer any personal losses that day, I was as shocked as anyone else and still feel the ramifications of that terrible event.  I believe we Americans lost some of our innocence (complacency, really) and then were momentarily brought together by the enormous tragedy that we now refer to simply as '9/11'.  We were reminded that we, as U.S. citizens, are not immune to suffering and sudden death at the hands of evil people who were willing to die in order to kill Americans.  Rational people have a hard time understanding that kind of evil intent.  I did.  That the horrific acts of 9/11 were fueled by the perpetrator's misguided belief that their deity approved of the mass murder of innocent people and would reward the murderers with some sort of celestial brothel is doubly tragic.  Unfortunately, this kind of distorted thinking and self-righteous rationalization for mass murder still exists in many places in the world and could yet be the flame that lights another firestorm here, as it has in too many places around the globe, taking the lives of many innocent people.  I pray that won't happen and there will be no more such acts of murderous terrorism on U.S. soil in my lifetime and that of my son (age 29). 

As a fellow old enough to have been a young adult (age 20) when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22nd, 1963, I recall exactly where I was when I learned of the death of the president on that tragically memorable day.  I also remember exactly where I was when I learned of the airliner crashes into the World Trade Center in Manhattan.  Ironically, both times, I heard the news on the radio.  In 1963, our TV set was not working and I had only a radio for news.  On September 11th, 2001 I was in my car, waiting for my son to emerge from the college building where he was taking a make-up test to pass his science course that would allow him to be awarded his degree, when I turned on the car radio and the news bulletins began coming over the local CBS affiliate.  All regular programming was immediately canceled. 

When the first plane crash was announced and the FBI claimed it was an accident, I immediately knew it was no accident. A few months before I had been a passenger in a light plane, flown by a friend of mine.  We had taken a flight around Manhattan and flew fairly close to the World Trade Center.  I recall those towers looking enormous.  Because the day (September 11th) was clear and sunny I knew that there was no way an airline pilot could not see these huge structures, much less, crash into them.  I didn't understand what had happened at the moment but I knew it was bad.  As the day wore on and I returned home (with my son) metaphorically glued to the television as the horror of what happened unfolded, I realized that this county was no longer safe from terrorists and that we had a new kind of enemy, fanatic and willing to die for his perverse convictions, believing that his god would reward him for killing innocents simply because they were Americans, not of his faith and opposed to what he believed in.  I knew this was going to be a dark time for America, whether we realized it or not.  Time has proven me only partially right.  While we have lost thousands of our best young people in a war, since 2001, we've not been attacked again, when, seven years ago, most Americans were sure we would be.  I won't attempt to debate the politics of the situation as that would be inimical as to why I post here and to my duties as a moderator.  Suffice it to say that I"m grateful for our relative safety these past seven years, even as I fully understand that we can never truly be 'safe' from suicidal terrorists driven by a religious belief that God wants them to kill us.     

Phyl, you're correct when you note that memories of 9/11/01 and the tragic losses of that day at the hands of murdering fanatics does put our problems, physical and emotional, in perspective.  I find it sad that it sometimes takes a monumental national tragedy to achieve this but at least we were all together for a few days until politics took over and began dividing us, once again.

I share your sacred memory of those who gave their lives on that horrible day in New York City and those who, even now, are still affected by 9/11.  The empty chair at the dinner table is a reminder of a tragedy that time may soften but never erase.  My heartfelt sympathy goes out to those who live with that loss every single day, not just on each September 11th.  I trust that those who perished on that fateful day will never be forgotten while those of us who lived through it - albeit remotely - remember them...and we will.   

Jim
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:31:40 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:08:43 pm »
The events of 9/11 changed the world really. For those directly affected with loss more so than others. i remember that event so vividly. It was very late here in Oz  maybe midnight or somewhere around that time when i was about to switch the tele off and go to bed when a news update came on. i thought for an instance that it was a very bad spoof (like the radio version of war of the worlds back in the fifties) but it didn't take me long to realise that it was real and Naomi and I were glued to the tele in disbelief and shock at the horror of it all.

I'm not a religious person at all but i respect the rights of anyone to believe in whatever they want to. i only ask that they don't impose that belief onto me. This terror regime is monstorous and I cannot for the life of me understand why the human race has slaughtered itself over religious beliefs for so many years. It simply amazes me. Sorry for getting into this coz talking religion and politics is usually a no-no but in this case I feel better for airing my views. Having said what i have, i also believe that a lot of people find comfort and belonging with their religion and i respect that, I've got absolutely no problems with that but creating devastation using religion as a reason is beyond me.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:45:57 pm »
Such heartfelt tributes to our nation who mourned together that day and still do.  I work in a prison and watched the 2nd plane hit and the towers come down with the inmates in a day room, for that time we were not separated by bars or uniforms we were one watching in horror.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!