Author Topic: CSF Leak  (Read 2426 times)

Lizard

CSF Leak
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:33:03 pm »
Hello
I had AN surgery 11/2008, by suboccipital approach, but unfortunately I had a CSF leak (through Eustachian tube and down my throat) and was required to have a mastoid obliteration to patch the mastoid bone and stop the leak.  So basically I had a translabrynth surgery as well, where they entered right behind my ear and patched the mastoid bone.  I was in the hospital for a total of two weeks.  16 months later am still suffering with terrible headaches and some balance problems, but they were able to save most of my hearing. I do however have tinnitus, sounds are tin-like and I do not pick up higher pitched sounds., but those are the least of my problems.  Has anyone had a similar problem and can you offer insight into your symptoms after the CSF leak was fixed as well as recovery?
Thanks,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: CSF Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »
I had a CSF leak after retro surgery and ended up getting meningitis, requiring another hospital stay.  My leak was at the incision site and never leaked out--just ballooned out as a bulge.  It healed after I had a couple of spinal taps and took medication to lower the pressure in my head.  I am so sorry you had to have addtional surgery, but am happy to hear that your hearing survived to some degree,  Quite a process, isn't it?  The headache issues did improve slowly but surely, and now I rarely get any.  Hope you continue to heal and get stronger!  It sometimes takes awhile to get things back to some semblance of normal.  Hang in there. ;)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:10 am »
Hi, Liz.  I had a CSF leak through my ear post suboccipital surgery.  I had a fat graft to repair the leak.  I have headaches, but I attribute those to the first surgery, not the second, although having a second surgery in the space of a couple of days probably didn't help things along.  I have very, very occasional tinnitus.  Have you seen a doctor about your headaches?   

staypoz     

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »
Seen quite a few dr's about the headaches, but none were really able to tell me what was going on.  I'm having trouble staying positive...can you tell?
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

staypoz

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »
I know it's hard sometimes.  The head pain can be debilitating.  Like a lot of other folks with headaches, I have seen a variety of doctors and had a variety of treatments.  It was very hard the first couple of years, but the frequency and severity of my head pain slowly began to change and continues to change, even 6 years out.  Hang in there.  There are a lot of us headache sufferers on the forum who know what you are going through and are pulling for you.

staypoz   

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:10:09 pm »
Thanks I know, that's why I'm here!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt