Author Topic: over compensation  (Read 4673 times)

Stephanie

over compensation
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »
Hi -
I had my surgery 6 months ago and after 4 & 1/2 months got my first sign of facial movement back (Thank goodness, I couldn't handle another facial nerve test, had 2). I still can't blink my eye or lift my eyebrow but I can smile a little, wrinkle my eye to get crows feet (never thought I would want those) and move my cheek.
Now it seems like my left (paralyzed) side is over compensating. Is this common to others? My cheek almost looks swolen and the left side of my mouth is at a 1/2 smile all the time now. It's like it's afraid to relax. Even when it was completely paralyzed my face was pretty symetrical but now there is an obvious change but in the other direction. Why won't it just cooperate? : )
Also, I had no sign of movement at all until my son gave me a "Warhead" candy, those really awful tasting, sour as can be, candies! My face cringed at the sour and that is the 1st time my face started moving. He claims fame to my facial movement and it's kind of a family joke now, they even put them in my stocking this year.  When you have tried everything else, try a warhead, what can it hurt? He may be on to something. HA HA
Stephanie
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Jessica000

Re: over compensation
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:49:42 am »
Hi dear,

that's a cute way of having movements back!  :)

I have the over compensation problem too. Basically it's like muscle being overly tight. Mine is really odd. My lower face is tight while the eye area is loose. It gives my face an odd shape. I have been doing therapy like using heat pack on the tightened muscles and massaging the looser parts lightly. Hope to bring it to a good balance.

I experience something weird recently too. When I smile, I could feel something move at the far end of my face like how muscles will move when we do a strong smile on the good side. Definitely feel the tug (contraction and relaxation) when I smile and stop smiling. I hope that it's a sign that my smile is getting stronger.

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:31 am »
Hi Stephanie

I got some movement back like you and now my left (paralyzed) side of my mouth is a bit higher than my right side which seems to look more droopy.  It has been like that for a while and Im hoping one day it will just relax.  Time I guess.....10 months and counting...

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

deheisel11

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:03:01 am »
Stephanie,
My surgery was 8 months ago, started to get movement in my cheek at 5 1/2 months.  I can move parts of my eyelid now.  However, after about 6 1/2 months post surgery, I noticed a pull under my right eye when chewing.  Now my right eye closes when I chew.  (the classic synkinesis)  After reading so many posts on muscles over compensating while healing, I decided to contact Jackie Diehls (the guru of synkinesis) to see if I could reverse or modify some of the tightening.  I am not leaving anything to chance.  I have an appointment with Jackie in late March.  I will post my results.  I am sure others will chime in on this.  Best of luck with your continued healing.  :)
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:57 am »
Hi Stephanie,

What you are describing sounds like hypertonic muscles which can occur as your nerves start sending signals to your muscles.  Basically, what can happen is that the muscles on your face develop "spasms" or cramps.  One sign of this is when the AN side of your mouth starts to pull up - that is the cheek muscle pulling the lip up.  Good news is that this is fixable and a good facial therapist can help you with this.  I understand that, for some peopel, the hypertonicity can resolve on its own.  In my case, however, I had to do a fair amount of therapy to get the muscles to relax (thanks to Jackie Diels!)  The muscle in my forehead also became hypertonic and that caused my AN eyebrow to raise higher than my non-AN eyebrow. 

If you can, try to see a facial therapist who can work with you on relaxing the muscles, as well as managing any synkinesis that develops.

Good luck!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Stephanie

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:38 pm »
Thanks for all the great post's. Sounds like a facial therapist is in my future
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10