Author Topic: puffiness above eyelids? aging process or facial nerve damage?  (Read 4888 times)

maxine

puffiness above eyelids? aging process or facial nerve damage?
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:45 am »
Hi,

I have a question for those of you who have had facial nerve issues.  Since a few months before my AN diagnosis I noticed a puffiness above the eyelid on the AN side, right where the gland that makes tears is.  This area above the eyelid is puffy most of the day but especially when I wake up.  Sometimes there is a bump about the size of a tiny marble above the eyelid.  I do have other facial nerve issues -- twitching, eye tearing, etc. -- but now my right eye is starting to get the same thing.  I don't want to attribute everything to the AN, but has anyone else experienced this? Thanks,
Maxine

JiroJiro

Re: puffiness above eyelids? aging process or facial nerve damage?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:23:21 am »
Hello Maxine,

It was very interesting to read your post. 

I have the same sort of puffiness above my eye, close to the bridge of my nose on the AN side. 

I never connected the dots so to speak but now that you point it out, I do wonder if it is AN related!

The puffiness is just on one side and I have now had it for a few years.  Like you, worse in the morning.

I will write again if I find out anything - I have an appointment with Drs next week.

24 mm Acoustic Neuroma (Left side)
Dr. Donald Jobbins (ENT) & Prof. Merry (neuro)
subtotal removal to preserve facial nerve
Sub occipital / Retrosigmoid surgery 8/95
SSD but no facial problems
No regrowth after 18 years

maxine

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  When I was having a routine eye appointment I discussed it with the  doctor.  It seems that the bump like a marble is a cyst that can come from or with dry eyes. I'm using eye drops now.  However, I wonder if the other puffiness has to do with facial nerve issues.  Or, it could just be aging.  I'll be interested if you find anything out.
Best.
Maxine

char1957

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:50:09 pm »
Maxine,  I have the same issues with my eye on the AN side.  I never thought of connecting it to the AN and possible nerve damage.  Last month, it got so bad I had to put hot compresses on it every day for over a week to get it back to the new normal, LOL!!  Did your AN encompass more than one of your craniel nerves?  Mine affected the 4th thru 8th.  Wish I had an answer for you.
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

maxine

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:07:10 pm »
Thanks for your post.  I am not sure what nerves were affected as I had radiation (can they see from MRI which nerves are affected or do you have to have surgery to know?)  but I have had a lot of facial nerve issues that I understand aren't supposed to be that common with radiation, so I assume the facial nerve was affected. As some of them started before I had treatment, I think it isn't all from radiation side effects.  I also have some numbness, sometimes with facial spasms and sometimes without.  I hope eventually the puffiness will go away, but for now it is my new normal.

char1957

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »
I am really not sure if they can see all that from the MRI.  I had all the same issues before surgery that I have now, except before surgery I could hear on the AN side better than the other side.  My AN was 2.5 cm.  It had attached itself to my 4th thru 8th cranial nerves and brainstem.  I wasn't given a choice on radiation or surgery.  I had to many symptoms to have radiosurgery, so I had retrosyg.  I am 3 years out, so I am working hard at getting used to the new normal!!!
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe