Author Topic: Books regarding brains  (Read 21791 times)

Palace

• Palace
Books regarding brains
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »
What books do you own about the brain that might help new Acoustic Neuroma patients?

Here is my small library about our brain which has helped me understand the use of my own brain.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: Betty Edwards

The Mind's Eye: Oliver Sacks

The Paradoxical Brain: Edited by Narinder Kapur (Foreword by Oliver Sacks)

The Tell-Tale Brain: V.S. Ramachandran ("Ramachandran at his best. ---Oliver Sacks)
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Books regarding brains
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:00:12 pm »
Musicophilia:  Oliver Sacks

Left Neglected:  Lisa Genova

The Scalpel and the Soul:  Allan J. Hamilton

Living Well with a Hidden Disability:  Stacy Taylor

...... to name a few.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:54:26 am »
Clarice:

I do own Musicophilia and got it after I was diagnosed with the AN---very informative and interesting read.

The other books you have recommended are good topics.

This should be interesting and helpful.

Thanks so much for your input and I hope other patients have some good ideas for reading.

Much appreciation,

Palace
single sided deafness

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:54:25 am »
Living Well with a Hidden Disability:  Stacy Taylor

Agree with this one. I have recommended it to many here on the forums over the years. Was given to me by my sister back in early 2000's when I was diagnosed with a different "hidden" disability (not AN related) and made a world of difference as to how the world views me... and how I view the world and how to contend with what I deal with on a daily basis. Great read!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

staypoz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:25:23 am »
I'd recommend, "I had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?" by Suzy Becker.  It the story of a woman's journey from diagnosis through recovery.  It's funny and poignant and full of all kinds of pointers.  (The author did NOT have an AN, but many of her experiences are similar.)

staypoz

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:11:53 pm »
"The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD. My daughter gave me this book after I had a stroke. I was having problems saying what I was thinking, and my short term memory was pretty bad. Still have problems with both, but life goes on.

First chapter in the book is "A Woman Perpetually Falling". It is about  a woman with a damaged vestibular system. Little did I know when I got this book, that my vestibular system was already under attack.

This book is about how your brain can adapt to changes.

James

New girl

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
I read Keith Black's book "Brain Surgeon"  It was OK.  He describes the AN surgery he performed for T-boz (? spelling) the singer/dancer from the group TLC.   If anyone wants it I can mail it to you (free).  I am done with it.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:40:59 pm »
I will take it. I like T-Boz and would be interested. I can PM you my address..... ;D ;D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

New girl

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
Sure!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:37:21 pm »
Actually I'm not sure I should it might freak me out.  ???
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:50 am »
Hi Everyone:

I wrote in private early yesterday saying I'd read the book if she "New girl" would pass it on to me.  I sent my address, too.  We could pass it around, if need be.  Having an online book-club might work.  (just an idea)  I have nerve to read the book.  I read all the others I could find.  Thanks everyone for the recommendations and keep them coming.  It's interesting.

Regards,

Palace
single sided deafness

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:03 am »
Palace,
If its ok with New girl you can have it. I'm not sure I am mentally ready to read it. I will take it after my surgery if that is ok? Are you having surgery? I see that you had CK too?

Thanks
Mindy

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »
The Paradoxical Brain book:

Refusing a helping hand - constraint-induced therapy in rehabilitation......

It is natural to try to compensate for disability using any means, including making the most of one's residual abilities.  Given that rehabilitation is ultimately about working with patients to help them achieve functional goals as easily and independently as possible, artifically hindering people by deterring the use of the intact functions appears paradoxical and perverse.  That, however, is the essence of various forms of 'constraint-induced therapy'.  The idea in its original manifestation in motor recovery is simple: if we do not use a limb, prolonged non-use will compound the initial damage and the full potential for recovery many not be realized.
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 02:43:40 pm »
Mindy:

I wrote to you privately as not to hijack my very own thread.

Here is just an interesting short quip from TPB book:

Despite being tested  on their comprehension of the rules before and after a test, and their above average IQ scores, the patients with frontal lesions showed a strong tendency to get caught up in one or other of the tasks to the detriment of the overall goal. 

*Since having an AN, I'm distracted or forget my original focused intention of a daily task as I blast through my grueling schedule whether in my home office or house chores.  I work hard on focusing.

My best,

Palace
single sided deafness

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »
Palace
I am right there with ya. I have to concentrate harder on things than I believe a non AN person has to. I don't like to blame everything on the AN but I do find myself wondering....