Author Topic: Hearing preservation - cyber vs gamma  (Read 3293 times)

Marti Gorman

Hearing preservation - cyber vs gamma
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:28 am »
So glad to have found this forum! Hooray for ANA.

An audiogram in Feb revealed "essentially normal hearing from 250-2000 Hz, precipitously sloping to mild to severe sensorineural hearing loss from 3-8 kHz" in my left ear. An MRI 2 weeks ago revealed a 1.0 x 1.3 (axial diam) x 0.7cm (craniocaudal) AN that extends into the internal acusticus canal.

I was referred to the Buffalo Neurosurgery Group which performs gamma knife stereotactic radiosurgery. No other options were offered. However, when I asked about the CyberKnife tool, the doctor told me it was less accurate (because of the free arm -- logical, right? he stated) and strongly urged me to schedule gamma knife surgery -- right down to handing me consent forms to sign. He stated that 40% of his gamma patients retain the hearing they went in with. Huh?! That means that 60% do not. Then he clearly stated that 60% of his patients end up without "functional hearing" in the AN ear.

My preliminary research has shown that hearing preservation is statistically as high as 75-95% using CyberKnife technology, and that the risk of damage to adjacent tissues is statistically lower due to equal precision but lower radiation doses. These two factors are very important to me. Does anyone have access to objective data that supports this?

This data is critical because apparently CyberKnife technology is not available in Buffalo/Western New York (the closest I can find are in Syracuse and Cleveland). Although my insurer does cover out-of-geography treatment for most subscribers, I entered the system through a "low income portal" which limits treatment options to a very small geographic area.

So it looks as though I have a battle on my hands. And since there is reason to believe that I may number among the 10-20% with a fast-growing AN, I need to fight this quickly. Hard data that justifies the time and effort and that also provides ammunition for this argument with the insurer would be greatly appreciated.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Marti Gorman

Re: Hearing preservation - cyber vs gamma
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
Thanks for the links! I am adding this data to the decision-making process and to my growing arsenal.

Elizabeth Cuttler

Re: Hearing preservation - cyber vs gamma
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »
If you look for San Diego Gamma Knife Center, there is an article that says Gamma Knife vs Cyberknife.
I recommend you to read it.
I work at SDGKC, and the doctors have treated ANs since they opened the Center.
I am suffering from tinnitus now;  I don't have an AN; I have a meningioma.
I would like to know if there's a good remedy for the tinnitus. It's constant and it's driving me nuts.
I also started seeing double vertically, and today I started doing some eye exercises on my computer, and the double vision got worst. I am assuming that it's because it's the first day.
Seeing double and having tinnitus at the same time is no fun.
If someone has some advice for the tinnitus, it will be greatly appreciated.
Best wishes to all,

Elizabeth