Author Topic: I found a way to talk on the phone with my non working ear???  (Read 2900 times)

Phillies

I found a way to talk on the phone with my non working ear???
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »
I'm a little perplexed. I haven't had any hearing for 3 1/2 months in my right ear since my surgery but the hearing nerve was left intact. Yesterday, I discovered if I put an ear plug or my finger in my good ear and put the phone up to my non working AN ear I can hear the phone. And if I push the phone hard against my AN ear I can carry on a phone conversation but as soon as I take out the ear plug or finger I loose all the hearing. Please tell me this is normal. Or did I discover something new? Or maybe it has to do with a nerve that is still working??
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:27:21 pm by Phillies »

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: I found a way to talk on the phone with my non working ear???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »
I am not a doctor, but my guess is there might be some some bone-conduction hearing happening when you press the phone hard against your skull ..... which means the sounds from the phone may be transferring to your good hearing nerve through your skull bone.

If you cannot hear anything from that ear without pushing it hard up against the bone, that nerve may still not be functioning well.  If, on the other hand, you can hear faintly when plugging your good ear, you might want to check with a good audiologist about a hearing aid for that ear.  Only an audiogram will really give you the true answer, I think.

My audiologist explained that it is the brain that does the hearing ..... the ears are only the vehicles to get the sounds to the brain, via the auditory nerves.  You may need to "wake up" the side of your brain that thought it was deaf.  What I did not know before was the right ear sends sounds to the left brain hemisphere (where language is processed) and the left ear sends sound to the right hemisphere and then back to the left for language processing.

I do not live in Kentucky, but I have an excellent audiologist at the University of Kentucky (for my Ponto processor), who is wonderful in figuring out what each of her patient's hearing needs are.  Hopefully, you have just such an audiologist near you.

Clarice
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:10:51 pm by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Phillies

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:08:34 pm »
I think I very well might be somehow using my bone to allow my good ear to hear the sound that is entering my bad ear. Sometime when I put the phone up to my non working ear I would hear a faint dial tone but I knew it was probably just my good ear hearing the faint noise. That's why I put my finger and a ear plug in my ear to be sure. I go for my first audio test in less than 2 weeks now. Should find out more then. In the mean while, could somebody who is SSD and reading this try what I did? Wonder if it's just me lol

Phillies

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »
No other replies?  Well, I emailed my brain doctor about that and basically I made a home made BAHA device using nothing but an ear plug. lol I wonder if everyone who is SSD can do that?

mk

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:56 am »
Hi Phillies,

This has happened to me many times. It can actually fool you into thinking that you are hearing something. Once this phenomenon also fooled the audio-technologist during one of my hearing tests. When the ENT read her report, she gave her different instructions to repeat the test, and sure enough there was no hearing  :P
 The way to verify for sure that you are not hearing anything on your bad ear is to introduce some random noise on your good ear (rubbing your fingers will do). This masks what your good ear hears because of bone conduction.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.