Author Topic: Has anyone went water skiing or tubing on a boat with single sided deafness?  (Read 4171 times)

cinnamon

My husband and I bought a brand new boat recently and I am concerned about water skiing and tubing. Can anyone relate or share their experience? I know that when we test drove the boat my balance was really bad when he turned the boat around extremely fast and threw me out of my seat. Of course ideally this wouldn't happen unless we were avoiding a collision. Thanks.
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

petittrv

We rented a boat at a lake in Arkansas during a family get together and I went tubing with my kids, nieces, and nephews.  I took a turn (at that time I was nine months post-op) and had no real issues other than after I took a spill I had a real difficult timed getting back up on the tube.  When I would try and climb back up from the water and it raised I had a hard time overcoming the mixed balance signals and it took me forever (probably 5 minutes) tio figure out how to get back on.  No big deal and the kids thought it was funny.  The actual tubing was not an issue.

Having said that and knowing my remaining balance issues, I think it may get tricky on rough water moving around the boat.  Just have to take it slow and as we say in the Army when we are climbing on large vehicles - maintain three points of balance (two hands and a foot, two feet and a hand, etc).  It slows you down but prevents falls.

Rick
4.5 cm AN - diagnosed 12 Sep 07; removed 2 Oct 07.  VII to XII Nerve transfer 9 Oct 07; CSF leak repair/eyelid weight installed 16 Oct 07. Deaf in left ear, facial paralysis

cinnamon

I think I will stay on the right side of the tube if riding two. But I wonder about the skiing. It makes me wonder about balancing that. I have been doing alright on the boat, of course the waters haven't been bad. Thanks for help on the tube. I am also thinking I am going to wear goggles to prevent water getting in my face, did you have any issues with that?

Lisa
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

petittrv

Lisa

I am (was) such a horrible water skiier I'm actually thinking I could only do better if I tried it again.  But that's a river (or lake) I have yet to cross.  I did not wear goggles but that is probably a good idea.  I got away with it but thinking back was probably just lucky.  I've never been the smartest about precautions but I will probably wear them next time out.

Enjoy yourself!

Rick
4.5 cm AN - diagnosed 12 Sep 07; removed 2 Oct 07.  VII to XII Nerve transfer 9 Oct 07; CSF leak repair/eyelid weight installed 16 Oct 07. Deaf in left ear, facial paralysis

Raven

Back in the day when all we did was ski and tube, I did many a face plant trying to be to cute and got my bell rung. We have a little ski boat and spend a week at the lake every summer, last summer all I did was drive the boat, no sking, no tubing, no diving................nothing. We are going to the lake in two weeks, I don't plan on doing any sking or tubing. Since the surgies it seems both sides of my head are tender, anytime I bump it, it really hurts and usually results in a headache...........so no face plants for me.

Two years ago when we got back from the lake, I woke up the next morning and had lost all my hearing in my left ear. I blamed it on swimming in the lake, driving home for three hours with the wind blowing in my ear...................yea, that's how I got two ANs.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

cinnamon

You know it is interesting that you feel that way. See, when I was younger like 18 I had an abusive boyfriend that slammed my head into the upper seatbelt piece in my car and actually broke the plastic off with the left side of my head and I think he caused my an. Then also I used to go to tanning beds and I am terrified of them now. I think we all try to find the cause. Don't worry I will be very careful while tubing and I know if I shouldn't be doing it because I am 35 and don't want to kill myself. I was really just curious before I tried. My head isn't sensitive but I have never until this day stood on my head because I don't want the blood rushing to my head. Thanks for your concern. I will have to post a reply after my first outing. Water skiing may be awhile since we have to buy this gear. Have a great weekend.

Lisa

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Get out and live...my advice anyway. Exercise...especially something that challenges your balance, is the best way to get back to normal. If you choose to just sit thats all you'll be able to do. I'm 51 and took up standup paddlesurfing as therapy two years ago. Best thing I've ever done.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

epodjn

I'm with Bob. The more you do the more you can do. If you sit, that will be all you can do before long. I have noticed that if i sit too much my balance really gets bad. We went on a road trip a few weeks ago and i spent hours sitting in the car, hotel, restaurants, theater. By the end of the trip I was a mess. My new goal is to exercise everyday, especially something that makes me work on balancing. I think water skiiing sounds like a blast!
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

cinnamon

Trust me I am not about to let everyone else have a good time while I sit and watch. I do however want to be cautious and get others opinions. I certainly don't want to do anything to harm myself. Thanks for the motivation!

Lisa