Author Topic: Six Days Post Translabyrinthine  (Read 3712 times)

Boxer Mooch

Six Days Post Translabyrinthine
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »
I am 40 and had a < 1cm growth removed via translabyrinthine surgery 05.06.

I was diagnosed with a tumor on March 6 and immediately talked to friends, found this site, and spent ample time with doctor and surgeons discussing my options. I made my mind to have translabyrinthine quickly but wanted time to think and pray on it and decided to move forward. As fortunate would have it, I was able to set the surgery for May 6.

I want to say here that everyone's expectation, circumstance, and experience differ. I felt as though my surgeon wanted to wait but this did not feel right to me.

The MRI revealed that the growth was deep in my head so that impacted my decision, too. Prior to the surgery, I had complete hearing loss on my right side and some eye trailing but nothing too bad in my opinion.

The surgery lasted 8+ hours and the surgeon said he removed the entire growth. I had no facial paralysis ever, no change in taste and moderate balance issues. The surgeon said the right decision had been made because the facial, vestibular, and auditory nerve were all tangled around the growth. He felt waiting another six months would have made the surgery more tedious and the results, likely, less positive.

The team had me walking within 15 hours of getting out of surgery. The head pain has been moderate and but a steady diet of Tylenol has helped.

They gave me the option of leaving after two full days but I opted to stay an extra to get the in-house PT and to avoid my three small children. That sounds bad, but the quiet and focus on recovery was needed.

Six days out, I am walking fairly well but not pushing it beyond a 1/5 of a mile yet. It hurts to look to my right but they tell me that will return. I have more fullness in my bad ear now and the actual ear itself feels like a warm pancake sewn on my face. I hope these sensations pass quickly.

I cannot express my appreciation for this site and it's members enough. It is a terrific resource. We are all different and all the same. Every account I have read has been helpful. God Bless you all.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Six Days Post Translabyrinthine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:31:35 pm »
Really glad to know you are doing well. Staying away from the kids was a good decision. Careful with the Tylenol...a steady diet will destroy your liver. Find a better,  safer pain reliever. Sounds like your recovery is going well. It is a slow process, so enjoy your down time.

James

cpchri1

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:21:51 pm »
Congratulations and welcome to the post surgery club.  Keep us posted on your continued recovery. I myself had a middle fossa approach at the end of February 2014.  I think you hit on one key item (Dr. Issac Yang at UCLA mentions it in his youtube video in summarizing AN treatments) is that physical AND spiritual health are two important items in having successful outcomes in whatever treatment method is chosen. In addition to seeking qualified providers of multidisciplinary medical teams and being educated, I did a lot of praying too.  In fact a lot of people did a lot of praying for me. I am thankful for each one and the kind people on the ANA site who support one another.
.7 x .6 x .5 cm left middle fossa approach 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side before 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side after 2/26/14
No evidence of malignancy
Bell's Palsy left side 15 years before 2014

gracey79

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »
I am happy to hear you are doing well also.  I have three children who live with me so I am currently watch and wait.  Reading your post has helped me see a very tiny glimpse of what recovery can be like.  I am 35 and my surgeon wanted me to have mine removed but I wanted to wait the 6months and have another MRI then.  My youngest is now 7 months and at the next MRI he will be 1 so I am hoping this makes it easier on whoever has to care for me and the children since my husband works a job that keeps him gone often and unpredictably.  I will keep you in my prayers for recovery to go healthy and as best it can. :D
(((hugs)))
Diagnosed 2014 a while after mom was also diagnosed with a slightly smaller AN on opposite side(we are not NF2)
4/14   2.0x2.4x1.7
10/14 1.6x2.2x1.5
6/15   1.5x2.9x1.6
8/16   2.8x2.2x1.5
Watch and wait may be prepping for surgery soon 6/17?
Mom of 5
16,12,5,3, 8m

Boxer Mooch

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:23:03 pm »
Today is two weeks and I've been off all meds since the weekend. My ear is still somewhat numb. I have used the ointment the doctors provided and moisturizing it seems to help. The stomach incision is healing well, too.

I went into work for an hour this weekend. There were no distractions, no other people, just me and the task at hand. When I got into the car to come home, I was exhausted.

I feel as though I have a ways to go stamina wise, but physically I feel great. It is difficult to explain. It is as though the "use" of my eyes or perhaps my body's healing is tiring me. I feel as though I can work on a part-time basis but am going to sit tight for at least another month.

The pharmacist forgot to give us anti-biotic the Saturday after my surgery and I went two days without. When I resumed taking them last Monday, I developed a rash on my side. Since I stopped taking them the rash has subsided.

My stitches came out Friday and the scar isn't so bad.

I am rambling...I guess all is well. I can't stress how fortunate I have been and it is not lost on me. The entire episode has been a welcome reminder of God's grace. I have been praying for the folks on this board--the people wrestling with their decisions, the ones working their way through recovery and for our loved ones who are carrying a bigger load while we navigate our journey.

Hokiegal

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:22:16 pm »
Glad you are doing so well!  My own journey has been difficult at times, but full of blessings and joy, too.  Sounds strange, but I wouldn't change what happened even if I could.
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni