Author Topic: Regrowth, Radiation options and fear for my face  (Read 9876 times)

shoegirl

Re: Regrowth, Radiation options and fear for my face
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:20 am »
Mark,

Thanks for reposting Dr. Medberry's response.  I think he does a great job of responding to their "claims" without being negative.  Both are great options, as with anything technology and experience often lead to advancements in medicine.  I am so happy that I had both CK and GK available to me, I had a choice.  Ultimately, you the patient have to do what is right for you.  Whether that is GK, CK, or microsurgery.  And often, some with AN don't have choices - microsurgery is the only option.  I am thankful I did. :)

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

john twoffer

• Acoustic Neuroma Foundation
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 10:37:56 am »
What is the address for the cyberknife board and other resources such as mailing lists?
Acoustic Neuroma and Cyst in my head.
I volunteer at:
www.AcousticNeuromaFoundation.org

Mark

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 11:29:18 am »
Cyberknife patient support group and doctors message board can be found at

www.cyberknifesupport.org

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

russ

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 01:11:10 pm »
Hi Jen

My feeling is you are pretty OK in choosing either CK or GK.
  GK is not usually done in fractions as isn't necessary, but can be done this way and sometimes is, depending on Dr. and tumor location, size. This is according to an employee of the San Diego Gamma Knife Center. An accuracy of .66 mm. for GK is reported there also.
  GK has the longest record of usage on AN, dating back to 1969. It is tissue sparing by nature though done in one "sitting".
  201 gamma rays are passed through a collomater from a constant cobalt source of radiation and intersect powerfully at target acoustic neuroma. They are weak going in and 1/2 strength coming out, so surrounding tissue is spared. Dispersion into surrounding tissue is also minimal. Average doses today have been scaled back to approximately 15 gy. I'm unsure, off hand, how that compares to CK.
  Of course, you've read the other fitting differences for treatment as posted.
  I personally like the fact HEI would say you are a GK candidate. To others, reported statistics may be of greater importance to consider.
  Being radiation is radiation, if this were a choice to make for myself, I'd choose the most experienced GK provider.
  Of course; Bottom line is, you should be comfortable with your own 'gut' feeling and choice. I've often wondered whether one can develop a 'gut' feeling w/o being a lay expert in the field. Well; As so many thoughts, consultations, decisions, etc. go into the decision making process, oftentimes I think it good to not be overly complicated and bogged down in technical details and %s of probabilities.
  In the end, each responds slightly differently and there are no guarantees of the effiacy of any Tx approach.
  I hope this isn't too long...
  Best wshes to you in every way!

Russ 

john twoffer

• Acoustic Neuroma Foundation
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 02:16:15 pm »
Dr. Medbery,
What about repeat radiation? I had FSR in 2000 at Johns Hopkins over 5 days and appear to need repeat treatment but am too unhealthy to undergo open brain surgery. My overall health is very unstable. What radiation therapy would you treat with next? The tumor has grown from 1 cm to 1.5 cm. We will keep watching it a while to be sure, but before it gets to 2 cm something should be done, I think. Thanks, John
Acoustic Neuroma and Cyst in my head.
I volunteer at:
www.AcousticNeuromaFoundation.org

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 02:49:34 pm »
John,

Did you post this on the cksupport board? (http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/)? that is where Dr. Medbury would reply.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"