Author Topic: Dental X-Rays  (Read 6707 times)

Upstate

Dental X-Rays
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »
I have my 6 month routine dental appointment approaching and I think I am due for x-rays.  I am really undecided if I should or not.  Just wondering if anyone has an opinion, I mean why get them if not medically necessary right???  On the other hand after all the radiation from GK what's a little dental x-ray gonna do?

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Dental X-Rays
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:59 am »
Upstate,

I would do a little more research if I were you! My doctors all 3 with whom I have consulted have warned me away from getting dental xrays. I consulted with Dr. Golfinos in NYU, Dr. Sisti in NY Presbytarian and Dr. Kondziolka in UPMC. All of them concurred on this. There is concrete medical evidence that dental xrays promote an AN's growth.

I had my silver amalgams replaced (as I was getting colds every season) they had to do xrays this was before my AN grew.

Dr. Sisti (My neurosurgeon)  thinks my AN grew by my having the dental xrays. I had my dental xrays about a year before my CT scan with contrast and a year and half before my GK procedure. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have had the xrays done. It had been 8 years with no growth. Go figure! 

Another Yellow Flag in my life!

Mike
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:01:10 pm by MDemisay »
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:24:06 pm »
Upstate -

I've never stopped getting dental x-rays.  Had them prior to my surgery, continue to have them post op.

I'm now 5 years and 3 months post op without any signs of regrowth.

I'm not a doctor - or any type of medical or dental professional - but I think that unless you are getting dental x-rays in mass quantities you shouldn't worry.  IMO if you are just getting routine dental x-rays you shouldn't stop.

Just my two cents worth,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:50:56 pm »
Like Jan, I've been getting dental X-rays on an annual basis since my AN surgery/radiation six years ago - with no problems.  I've had serious dental issues - now corrected - in the past and do not want to jeopardize my current good dental heath.  I doubt that my experienced dentist, who is aware of my AN surgery/radiation and very conservative in his professional approach to patients would allow me to continue to have annual X-rays were they a risk.  However, the issue has never come up so I'll mention this to him on my next visit (October) just to get his opinion. 

Of course, in the final analysis having dental X-rays are the patient's decision and if an AN patient is concerned about the possibility of dental X-rays causing problems, then, by all means, don't have the X-rays taken.  It's your choice (and your teeth).     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BeckyMax

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:21:01 pm »
I was just at the dentist last week, and thankfully not due for xrays this time, but they said next time I get the whole shebang, bit wings, panoramic, etc.  No thanks, I'll pass.  Fortunately, I am fortunate to have very good teeth.  I had braces as a child, and my wisdom teeth removed, but other than that I've not even had a cavity in my 40 years.

As a child I was exposed to xrays of my spine ever 3 months for about 5 years, so I feel that is all the radiation I want for now.  Certainly if I have pain or the dentist sees a potential problem, I will, but for me I don't see the point in just routinely doing them for no reason other than my insurance will pay for it.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

JWW

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »
I have mixed feelings about dental x-rays now. A couple of years ago, I had an old filling replaced which needed a root canal. The tooth did not settle down, so back and forth for multiple x-rays on that tooth. Continued with pain and the endodontist began to talk about a possible implant in the future.

I made the decision to go back to my regular dentist because my bite was off. More x-rays. Correcting my bite seemed to solve the problem! (but more x-rays). I have a mouth guard because I clench my teeth. Most of my dental issues have been on the left side (same as my AN side)!!!

In 1997, I put down I had some minor hearing loss on my R. side (not my AN side)., I also put down mild dizziness/balance issues on a medical form. No connection was made about an AN. A lot of dental x-rays over the years on the left side from clenching my teeth.

It's a conundrum.

Upstate

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:11:38 pm »
Thanks everyone, lots of differing opinions.  I went to the dentist and told them I decided not to have  the x-rays.  They told me if I don't have them next time they will no longer see me as a patient.  Something about liability. Another conundrum!!!

ChipsFL

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
Thanks everyone, lots of differing opinions.  I went to the dentist and told them I decided not to have  the x-rays.  They told me if I don't have them next time they will no longer see me as a patient.  Something about liability. Another conundrum!!!
I would tell that dentist to have a nice day and to send your records to a new dentist, and make sure the new one uses only digital X rays, if they are ever truly needed, since the radiation, from what I was told, is much less.
4-2012,  CK, Wellington, Fl
11-2012, Followup MRI- "no Sig. change"
10-2015 Followup MRI- Tumer Shrunk In Size

millie

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:46:56 am »
I have had so many x-rays in my life.  Lots and lots of dental work-root canals, crowns-you name it.  Just had an old root canal/crown extracted!  Bone graft done.  Have told dentists since 2/2012 when I was diagnosed about my concern with x-rays.  Didn't know I could ask for the less invasive kind.
Come to think of it, I had a ton of work done in 2010.  I wonder if that caused my little an to grow faster  over the last couple of years.  Hmm....