Author Topic: Was your hearing loss sudden or gradual?  (Read 8841 times)

lholl36233

Re: Was your hearing loss sudden or gradual?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:26 pm »
Mine was sudden.  I noticed the tinnitus before the hearing loss.  I'm left handed so when I'm on the phone, it was always on my left ear.  One day at work, I had to call an 800 number that was a recording like, "If you know your party's extension, please press 3."  I thought the volume was low on the phone.  I had to call back the next day.  When the volume was still low, I thought I'd try the right ear for the heck of it.  Volume was much better...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Jan D

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 05:01:21 pm »
My hearing loss was gradual too.  The first symptom was having difficulty hearing people on the phone on my AN side.  My parents took me to an ENT, he ran a hearing test and told my parents that "I was lying" about not hearing!  Of course, my parents got a second opinion, but the second opinion Dr. said that I had "virus", so nothing was done, but prescribing some meds.  Can't remember the exact details because it was over 40 years ago.  Finally, when I had another hearing test, of course I couldn't hear a thing on that side.  The next symptoms were headaches, seeing spots, dizzyness and finally I was correctly diagnosed with the acoustic neuroma.  Actually the first doctor that saw it was the Opthamologist.  I was losing peripheral vision on the AN side and he actually saw the tumor through my eye.  I had surgery to remove the tumor within 2 weeks of that diagnosis.  The doctors said that it may have growing in my head since I was 6 years old.  They don't really know - so much about these tumors were unknown at that time. 

Jan D

AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 05:08:56 pm »
Jan,

OMG.  That must have been terrible having a doctor say you were lying.  I am so sorry for all you went through.  I hope you are doing OK now.  My heart goes out to you. 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

lori67

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 05:10:43 pm »
Jan D -

Wow!  That is amazing!  I can't believe your eye doctor actually saw the tumor through your eye!  I hope all those other doctors who misdiagnosed you felt bad after that!  So, you've been dealing with all these things for a long time.  I guess after a year of the eye and face issues I have no right to complain.  Puts things in perspective.

And welcome - by the way.  Let's hope the others don't confuse you with that "other" Jan.  She's trouble!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 06:28:38 pm »
Sudden on both sides.  On the AN side I woke up one morning to tinnitus.  I had been flying on a business trip with a terrible cold in an unpreasurized plane the day before.  I noticed the tinnitus at first.  I thought it was the noise that was blocking my hearing.  I didn't realize that the hearing had also gone -- for the most part.  Over the past 23 years the rest of my hearing loss on the AN was gradual.  On my "good" there had been somewhat of a loss -- then all of a sudden a major loss -- like from 95% hearing to about 50%.  I couldn't survive without a hearing aid.  As I mention in my post, it's sort of quiet around here -- with the exception of my incredibly loud neighbors.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 07:01:45 pm »
My hearing loss came on gradually, I also had tinnitus for a very long time.

I guess I just adapted to it all, until my coworkers got tired of me saying 'what' & speaking louder & louder.

Then I went for a hearing test with about 80% hearing loss, got an MRI, etc., etc.....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

oHIo

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 07:07:34 pm »
Lori...I also had "sudden" hearing loss as the result of surgery.  I went in with 100% hearing discrimintation and came out deaf.  No surprise since I had a translab.  

I had noted some changes in my hearing.  Music over the telephone sounded different in each ear.  It went from being about a half step different, to eventually sounding like they were playing two different songs with the same words.  My hearing scores were great with only a mild SNHL on the right.  

I continued to use my AN ear to talk on the telephone up until surgery.  I still find myself holding the phone to my right ear and saying hello multiple times before I realize I'm the one who is not all there  ;)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 07:14:15 pm »
Sometimes I feel like I have Morris Code going on in my ear.  As stupid as this might sound, sometimes with all of the ringing and dinging in the ear it is like changing channels of the TV and tuning into something new.  No offense to those who have lost their hearing.  I can't imagine not having any hearing at all.  Hopefully I'll get to keep some.  Nancy Drew
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

solecleansing

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »
I didn't notice any hearing loss until I dialing a number on my cell phone and put the phone up to my ear.  I couldn't hear anything but a muffling sound.  I thought the phone was not working but I put it up to my right ear.  And there was clear sound.  I made an appointment with an ENT and she sent me for an MRI which showed the Acoustic Neuroma.

Leading up to my hearing loss I had several ear and sinus infections.  Also, the last couple years flying was a nightmare because of the pressure and pain afterwards. I also was becoming what I thought was clumsy.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 08:53:04 pm »
And welcome - by the way.  Let's hope the others don't confuse you with that "other" Jan.  She's trouble!   ;)

Geez, Lori -

do you realize that 5 people posted after you did and not one of them defended me?  :o  Maybe it's time to ditch the forum and take that high paid position at the garage.  And all this time I thought I was being helpful to others  :'(  LOL

Jan D -

I've always heard that eye doctors could see brain tumors by looking into a patient's eyes, but never quite believed it.  Guess you are living proof of that. 

It's amazing to me that you had your AN treated over 40 years ago.  You are a true AN pioneer.  Thanks for joining the forum;  I'm sure you have a lot of experiences to share that none of us have had.

In order to avoid confusion, fellow forumites, you can either call me Jan B, the droll Jan, BAHA Benjamin, Tattoo Jan, or Jan the troublemaker - your pick  ;)

And BTW, Lori - thanks for the vote of confidence  :D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 10:36:16 pm »
The young lady I met who had a 4+ cm AN was discovered at a routine eye exam.  She had no other symptoms, except she started drooling out of the an side one day.

And unbelievably, my eye doctor saw what she called a "freckle" back there about 5 years ago.  She seemed a bit concerned, took a picture of it, and told me to follow up in a year.  Obviously, I never did so. I have "kicked" myself over that countless times. :-[
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:38:02 pm by Nicole222 »
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 11:18:13 pm »
I wonder about the accuracy of those hearing tests.  Anyone here feel the same way? 

The problem I have with the audiograms (hearing tests) is that the noise floor of every place you get tested (and their equipment settings) are different. For the sake of consistency (valid results), I try to get tested in the same place and by the same audiologist each time. But another bigger problem is that the cables are so microphonic that they pick up my breathing sounds and the sound of the cables lightly brushing against my shirt when I breathe. If it weren't for those noises, I might be able to hear tones and spoken words that are lower in level than the microphonic noises that mask them.

The condition of your ear canals and eardrums also can cause fluctuating and invalid results. I flew in a small plane just a couple hours before my last audiogram (a mistake) and was a little plugged up from the changes in barometric pressure. That makes my last test results a bit suspect.

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

rosalie

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 10:08:05 am »
Mine was gradual. I first noticed I couldn't hear on the phone or through headphones.  When I was tired it seemed like eveyone was talking a different language. I could hear them talking but the words didn't make sense. 

I went to the doctor because I thought I had a wax build up in my ear that was causing problems with my hearing. The doctor checked and said he didn't see anything wrong. He thought it was just "old age" and I should just live with it. I made an appointment with an ENT and gave up after waiting 2 hours in the waiting room. Last year we moved to Kansas City and I decided to try again. I wasn't prepared for the diagnosis. I thought I just needed hearing aids. That's the nice thing about a big city, they have doctors who know what they're doing!
Rosalie
translab surgery July 1, 2008 with Dr. Luetje and Dr. Camarato in Kansas City to remove 2 cm tumor on right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:30 am »
Jan~

I like LEPER!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:47 am »
oHIo -

I'm 16 months post op- and still put the phone up to my deaf ear and say "Hello?" a few times before I realize there's nothing wrong with the phone!  Old habits die hard.

Jan, I'm so surprised that no one would have defended you... perhaps I was right???  ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.