Author Topic: One Year Post Translab...  (Read 5813 times)

cindyj

One Year Post Translab...
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:56:08 pm »
So strange to think of this time last year - hard to believe I was rolling down that hall of windows (you House alumn know what I mean) right about now.  I won't recount the story here, but a couple of links are below if any of you newbies want to read part of my journey.  I couldn't find any from immediate post-op, but know my mom posted some (nausea, nausea and a bit more nausea ;) ).  However, as they fall under the "first three days don't count" rule, it doesn't much matter what they said.  My story is actually pretty uneventful, almost boring compared to some, but we'll call that a good thing ;)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8109.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6163.15

For the record (and you newbies), my temporary facial paralysis was indeed temporary - probably about 8 weeks or so.  Yes, there is still some residual effect, but only a neurosurgeon (and a few of you guys) would be able to tell ;D

My wonky-head continues, but as most of you know, my philosophy has been that it won't get better if I give in to it and sit in the house.  I did start vestibular exercises a couple of months ago to see if it can knock out the last of the seasickness.  If not, oh well...tennis must still be played!

While tinnitus is, of course, annoying, the SSD is not so bad.  As I think I've posted before, it gives my husband great ammo for humor.  Yes, going out to dinner with friends can be a challenge, but I'm not about to miss out on it!  I think less and less of it these days.

I have always been a "glass half full, things could always be worse (and they can)," kind of person.  That served me well this past year, and I think most of you out here have the same philosophy. There have been SO many inspiring stories here.  And, there are SO many things worse than having an AN...

To sum it all up :D, I'm fine!  I continue to hang out here because you are all my very dear friends now...really (ok, now I'm tearing up).  As "strong" as I am, I would NOT have made it without this forum which I found just prior to my diagnosis. From meeting Phyl and her bloke not long after my diagnosis (sure she has family down here, but I like to think she came to GA just for me, right, Phyl ;D), to my phone conversations with Donnalynn and Cheri pre-surgery that were priceless, to the conversations I've had with many of you newbies since my surgery, to my awesome hat-by-Steve, to my new GA AN buddies, the AN Book Club, and so many more...How can I fully be sorry that I had an AN? 

Finally, I can not think of this time last year without thinking of Nancy (NL) who made our LA trip, a trip to remember...with some very nice memories, not just memories of surgery.  You are so special to Brad, Mom and me, Nancy!  And, of course, it was incredible to meet David and Mathilda out there - just unbelievable!

It has been an amazing journey to take with you guys...Thank you and many hugs to ALL of you,

Cindy (sorry this was so long :))
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: One Year Post Translab...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:10:36 pm »
Cindy ~

Thanks for your poignant, heartfelt 1-year update.  I'm delighted to learn that you're recovering so well and overcoming whatever obstacles were in your path back to normalcy, and doing so with aplomb.  Kudos to you, Cindy!  I also want to offer my appreciation for your kind words about the folks that make these forums what they are - invaluable, in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

You're a valued member here and we certainly have gotten as much from your presence on the forums  as we've ever given to you.  Thanks again and may Year 2 be even better for you!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »
Congratulations, Cindy!  ;D

Hard to believe it's been a whole year.

Thanks for all you share here on the forum.  All your fellow forumites appreciate your contributions!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

gingerbread6

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:39:19 am »
Hi Cindy,

Congrats on your second anniversary!! Thanks for all the support that you and everyone else on this forum give. It's my lifeline right now and my support team to see me through this ordeal.  I'm pre surgery on Dec. 28th in Boston with Dr. Peter Black. I hope and pray that my "an" surgery is successful and life returns to normal. I wish you all the best. God Bless!!!

Gingerbread6

gingerbread6

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:42:17 am »
Cindy,

So sorry for my error on your an anniversary. Congrats on your 1st anniversary!!!!!

Gingerbread6

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:59:56 am »
Thanks Cindy!

I am pre-op and it is so great to hear success stories like yours.  It give me so much hope!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:25:27 am »
Woo hoo!  You rocked it, Cindy!  Thanks for helping me through to the other side.  You're an inspiration, for sure. 
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:42:12 am »
Congrats on your 1 year milestone!!!!  Your outlook throughout your journey has been inspiring and you are a fabulous example of a great quality of life after surgery.  I'm glad you are still an active member of the club!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:05:24 am »
Congrats Cindy
It was great to meet you when I was in florida.  You were 4 months post op then and I thought you looked wonderful. It gave me alot of hope for my surgery.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:18 am »
Cindy,

Belated congratulations on your 1-year anniversary! You are a very resilient individual and have been an inspiration to so many of us here on the ANA forum.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28:24 pm »
Now, you see, this is why I love to be here - you guys are so great...thanks!

(Jo, was thinking about you the other day - I'll be back down in Jax Feb 20th...how about you?)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

NL

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 01:34:47 pm »
Hey Cindy!

I was thinking about your upcoming anniversary all last week. You've been such an inspriation to others over the past year! Thanks for sharing the year with us, from everything from the rowing team, to the tennis, to the run!

I dug up one of your mom's post-op update threads (thanks again, Sandra!), and this one has your first "post-op post" a few down from the top.  :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7994.15

Happy One-Year Anniversary, Cindy - and I know it's the first of many, many more!

Nancy

P.S. - I'm looking forward to your next "vacation only" trip out west!  ;) ;D

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 06:20:04 am »
Oh, good work, Nancy - thanks!  I noticed in several of my posts in all of those links, I kept telling y'all I had SO much I wanted to say...but, it seems I never did say it!  I do remember having many, what I thought, were profound thoughts - pretty sure it was just the Decadron ::)  My mind would just race all night on that stuff.  Oh well, guess you'll never know what great wisdom I was going to impart to you guys!

Nancy, I do hope I get back out there one day for a non-AN related trip!  We'll meet up in that Mex restaurant for that margarita!

Cindy 
feeling great!

faith42

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:06 am »
CINDY,

CONGRATS ON YOUR 1ST ANNIVERSARY!!!! ;D I LOVE TO HEAR YOUR POSSITIVE ATTITUDE! IT IS TRULY THE BIGGEST PART OF HEALING! ;) I HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON! I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY, AND OUT OF TOUCH, BUT I THINK OF EVERYONE! LIFE HAS BEEN GOOD!

YOU GOT TO KEEP ON MOVING!!!!!

TAMMI
translab right side- ssd-facial paralysis- dr's Reid Thompson and David Haynes in Nashville, Tn. 18 hr surgery mrsa staff infection 3 different occasions the first year! doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 09:51:15 am »
Hi Cindy-

Congrats on your 1-year anniversary.  Love hitting those milestones!  I always love reading your posts because you have such a great attitude and sense of humor.  you GO girl!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com