Author Topic: Small Support Groups  (Read 2659 times)

SGBlons

• Living with uncertainty and great joy!
Small Support Groups
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:30:17 am »
Since my last post I have convened a small support group from our local ANA members.  We met at my home for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon in July.  Just 4 of us.  The size and informality allowed us to do a lot of sharing.  All of us had different stories, of course.  Everyone else had had surgery, while I am still W&W,  We happened all to be men.  A variety of ages.  We agreed it was very positive and that we'll do it again.  Twice a year about 30-40 people attend the official ANA support group meeting in Minneapolis to hear speakers and meet one another.  That's great, but this more intimate kind of gathering meets other needs.

I don't know how many of you are in small groups like this, but I'd encourage you to use the resources of ANA as I did to form one in your area. 
5-7mm AN L; diagnosed 12/9/11
As of June 2014 now 9mm
Still W&W

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Small Support Groups
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:10:33 am »
Dear SGLBons,

I wanted to comment on small support groups they are great! I have the support of all of you here on the forum, I meet monthly with the NYC ANA in a large group and have been meeting weekly with a therapist who knew before I had my operation in 2004. My therapist thinks that the groups online input is helpful with recovery as well.

I applaud you for your encouragement of ANers to talk about this frustrating thing that we jointly share, because often times it remains unseen, but it is frustrating having to explain it again and again to people unaffected by our staggering and wonkiness. Your private setting of your home and small group makes talking about different things far more intimate and comfortable.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Barb909

Re: Small Support Groups
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »
Hi SGBlons, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I facilitate the Seattle/Washington State group and ours is also small, 10 - 12 folks. Before every meeting, I find myself wishing there were more, thinking that this is a big city! Surely there are folks out there who would want to come. And, each time I walk away knowing that it was a great meeting of discussion and support for those who attended. We are lucky that even in our small crowd, we have a little of everything: surgery, W & W, radiation, NF2, other post-treatment issues.

You are right: the small group meets different needs. Thanks for your insightful and reassuring words. It helped me lots!

Barbara
Feb. 2010    4 x 8 x 5mm
June 2011   4.7 x 8.9 x 4.0mm
May 2012    4.5 x 9.1 x 3.9mm
Sept. 2013   5 x 10.1 x 5mm
Feb. 2015     6 x 13 x 5 mm
In IAC near cochlea
Mild hearing loss, tinnitus
W & W, thinking about treatment