Author Topic: Anyone experience itchy stitches poking out?  (Read 1976 times)

spgreenfield

Anyone experience itchy stitches poking out?
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »
It's about 1 month post surgery for my suboccipital procedure and a couple of my interior stitches are poking out and very annoying!  When I lie on any pillow they prick and sting and when I'm not they itch!  Waiting for an email back from my surgeon's nurse....I had staples for the outside that came out about a week after surgery, but these must be interior ones that aren't supposed to be poking out but dissolving or something - right?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Anyone experience itchy stitches poking out?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:28 am »
I remember having stitches poking out around that time post-op...at first I thought it was the surface stitches (the ones they removed about 10 days after...maybe they had missed them), but then when I asked about it...they asked me if they were blue...they were.  These were the stitches that were underneath the skin that was supposed to stay in (and eventually dissolve). Long story short, either they did dissolve or I just don't notice it anymore because after another month or so I never noticed it again. Funny thing these "milestones" we experience...the symptoms are so annoying and noticeable, but then they gradually fade and then all of a sudden weeks later you realize that they are gone...you are like "Huh, when did THAT happen?" This will happen for you a lot as you continue to heal! Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston