Author Topic: A special thank you  (Read 10941 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
A special thank you
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:01:14 pm »
In the months I have signed up for this site and for all I have read, I have shared, I have learned... through all the jokes, giggles, etc. I just wanted to say a special thank you to one and all of you here!

When I first logged onto this site mid to late 2005, a lot of the conversation was dreary and rightfully so. No one is trying to make light of what each individual is experiencing.  I have learned a great deal from this site and as it's a free forum/board to those of us that use it, I would like to send out a special thank you to the ANA folks that help to maintain it, to those that pay annual membership to the ANA to help keep this board up and running.

I know the past couple of months, I've been trying to help post light-weight discussions in a time of a lot of stress for me. I find humor to be a great stress reliever for me so I've let my warpedness run rampant around here (amongst my serious posts.. yes, I do certainly post some) to help curb the edge of the stresses that all of us are going through.    I firmly believe that laughter is truly the best medicine and if my warpedness has helped you in any way to help take time away from the stresses you all are experiencing, well, then, I'm glad.  Dealing with AN is not a funny issue as we all know... far from a funny issue. But, for me, I am just trying to share a little sunshine (yeah, I know, the screennic is used and won't be smearing her around!) with many here that have not-so-good days... and if you are having a good day, well, maybe my humor (or lack thereof) is helping just a wee bit.

So, thank you to the ANA mgt group for keeping this site up and running... and to all of you that tolerate my shennanigans, harrass my spelling and grammar (yeah, Batty, I saw that post!), for the hugs and phone calls and emails and suggestions/recommendations and words of encouragement.

Ok, nuff of me being sappy (damn, I must be hormonal again) but I do sincerely mean my thanks to you all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

Re: A special thank you
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:51:10 pm »
I couldn't agree with you more! Humor is what has helped pull me through not only my AN journey, but my husband's illness as well. Lately I have had some really down and stressfull days dealing with AN problems and I come here because we all share a very special bond. We understand each other, when our family, friends and doctors can't.  I don't know what I would do without this forum.

For me, it is laughter that helps me get through the pain and fear.

thank you everyone, you are awesome!

Hugs to you Phyl! You Rock!
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:52:48 pm »
Oh Jeez Phyl, I'm gonna start Hoo-hooin'  :'(  You are so right about keeping a sense of humor!
Just after I was diagnosed and in my early recovery I was here when it was in a different form--I remember Raydean, Russ, and a couple others and it's good to be back here and I love the new format.
Sooooo--you are welcome!
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:13 pm »
 :'(
 :-*

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:10:03 pm »
shucks  :-[

*puts hands behind back, lowers head,  kicks shoe through dirt*

:-* backatcha!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 05:15:38 pm »
Yeah, what Phyllis said....both times!!!!  WE ALL RAWK!!!!  And Phyllis, you're especially KEWL!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 05:20:24 pm »
check's in the mail to each of you. ;)

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 06:02:32 pm »
YEE HAW I can make that mort payment now   :o

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 06:13:17 pm »
Your comments are spot on Phyl.

I find this site fantastic, both from a serious view - options, treatments etc to the humour. There is a great mix and I find it fantastic. Its quite amazing that funny twists can actually lighten the stressful issues of AN's but it works for me.

And what about the support that is given - wow - its great.

cheers to all and a keep fighting comment to those that are struggling with recovery - we are here for you.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

RadiantStar

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:58:01 pm »
Okay, here goes.  I think you hit the nail on the head.  Quite literally.  Lately, I've been thinking about the quality of life of not just me, but everyone.  Yeah, having an AN isn't what I had planned at this point in my life, but I'm sure no one plans on any life threatening disease or trauma.  Sooooooooo
my issue became, and is Quality of Life.  How do we want our lives to be like?????  Better?  Normal???? What????  How do we take all this we haven't asked for and learn the lessons we need to from it?  Each of us have a personal answer to that, don't we.  We do the best we can, wherever we are at the moment. 

Honestly, I have dissected everything from the first symptom, to the day of diagnosis with only one thought in mind....what can I learn from this experience, and how can I help myself and others.  My new mantra is "Aspire to Inspire"  everyday. 

Humor, wisdom, kindness, smiles, don't cost a thing.   If we can't give these things freely, how will we ever feel like living?  Laughter, is a gift, and if we share our gifts freely, we receive more gifts than we can imagine.

So, laugh, sing, dance, hoola-hoop your hearts out.  Whatever works.  Sharing your gift is a wonderful way to heal yourself and each other.

And that's what I think.

ta-da ;)

Ya'll keep on keepin' on.  I mean it. 8)

nannettesea

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 09:21:38 pm »
I'll chime right in.    Been doing a lot of spiritual reading lately, except today with my sore attitude...and of 20 strategies to cope with a chronic illness --I guess I fall in that category for now--humor, social network, staying busy as your body allows, don't think about the illness, were just a few gems.  Book is called Being Sick Well, by Jeffrey Boyd.  He's a Christian, and that flows througout the book ( not really my thing), but he talks to people of all and no faiths.

This forum provides humor and social network.  We are a rare lot, every "body" is different, as Cheryl once said, I think, I can't compare my progress to everyone else's.  My body will heal as it will.  Cheryl, sorry about your right arm stuff.  I've had almost constant mouth twitching and spontaneous tearing out of the AN side.  Facial nerve, also, I suppose.  I could care less if God would just take the dizziness away--keep praying, please!  I know I have to do my part, though, keep working at it....groan.

Blessings to all,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:07 pm »
Nan, like you, I am VERY spiritual (although not a Christian) but as we know, AN's are non-denominational, but I hear you.... inner peace. Gawd, how do we find inner peace as each of us deals with our own situations?  Good days, crappy days, UGH! days, peaceful days... I know we are all going to have an array of days... but I'm so glad that everyone here can relate. Regardless of wait/hold, which treatments, which outcomes, which whatever's, in the long run... you're stuck wtih us!  and I'm glad you are! :)

xoxo
Phyl

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 11:13:44 pm »
In the last couple weeks since my diagnosis, and the week plus on the board I have learned so many things....lots about what I have, but also about how to laugh and feel OK everyday, whether it's a good day or bad.  And, you know, that's my measuring stick for now.  I'm trying not to expect too much of myself (I'm a virgo wanna be perfectionist) and just say "yea!  I had a good day today" or "man, today was not good, what am I going to do to make tomorrow better".   Hanging out with you guys makes the wait thing for me tolerable.  Also the dealing with people who don't know how to react to the news and are uncomfortable makes me uncomfortable, but I don't worry about that here.  I too love the mixture of serious and humor, it's how I'd be everyday with or without AN.  This would be so much harder on me if it weren't for all you great people.  Thanks for welcoming me in to your special club. 

Back to an old thread, just to note, I signed on on 3/6/06 as #904.  It's 3/15/06 and we're at 921.  Thanks Batty for the welcome wagon. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

nannettesea

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 11:23:51 am »
Phyl,
Glad to be stuck--what a good place to be stuck in!  Very tired today--I keep asking why, but trying to be okay with "what is."  I've been trying hypnotherapy and personalized relaxation CD--in case I have something to "unblock" in my brain.

Thanks for the validation/support.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

***Leigh***

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 02:36:59 pm »
I think a special thank you is in order for all who post on this board.  It is the people that make the board work.  You have all given me lots of information and have certainly made me laugh.  I particularly like that the posts are very varied and dont always relate to ANs.  I haven't really posted before, I guess because I don't really feel like I have anything wrong with me and didnt want to admit it. I'm very lucky as mine was found very small a few years ago and I only have loss of hearing and tinitus as symptoms..... mind you trying to make up my mind what to do, or not to do is not the easiest as I'm sure you all know.  These boards do make you feel like you are not alone and that there are others out there who pick themselves up and get themselves through the hard times.  Fortunately for me (touch wood) the hardest part was finding out about my AN.

I think that in a lot of ways us ANs are very lucky.  It has certainly made me make sure that I dont take things for granted and that life is what you make it.  I no longer settle for second best and dont sweat the small stuff.  Life is too short to worry about things you cant change and that includes AN.

Keep up the great posts everyone!

lol

L x