Author Topic: BP100 progress report  (Read 2282 times)

Sefra22

BP100 progress report
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:52:46 pm »
It's been 4 weeks since my last programming, and everything is finally working great! I can't exactly localize sound, but I do seem to know when it's on my left (non AN) side. If it's on my right side, I still struggle, but that's okay.

The only thing I find annoying now that it's cold, is that I have to be really careful wearing a hat, scarf, or hood. I still get some feedback it it gets touched by any of these things, so sometimes I just turn it off while I'm outside.

But hey, I can live with a little inconvenience so that I can hear again 8)

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

ombrerose4

Re: BP100 progress report
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:35 pm »
Congratulations on your BAHA. It must be great to 'hear' again. I am having my BAHA surgery 1/4, cannot wait for the day I get to turn it on. Good luck to you and lets hope for a warm winter so you won't need a hat :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »
Lisa -

I'm so glad to hear that your BP100 is working well, since I know you've had some issues with it.

It's cold here too (Chicago area), but I generally don't wear a hat and my BAHA at the same time.  Usually when I wear a hat I'm shoveling snow or taking a walk through the neighborhood and neither really requires my BAHA.   Your idea of turning it off is probably the best option, since anything that comes too close to it while it is on will cause it to squeal.

As far as the localized sound goes, IMO it will get better in time.  When I first started wearing my Divino, I couldn't localize sound either, but as time went on I found that I could.  I hope your experience is the same as mine in that category.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:18:53 pm »
Thanks for the mostly positive report of your BP100 use..  I'm officially jealous.  I imagine, as Jan said, localizing sound will get better with time.  Heck, I don't have one and it's gotten better localizing sound over time for me.  What I find frustrating is semi-loud to loud places, it's next to impossible to carry on a conversation.  Even on our road trip to Kansas a few weeks ago, it was hard hearing Jenni talk to me while I drove.  I'm not sure a BAHA would help that or not..

Congrats on your experiences so far!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:45:11 pm »
I have a funny story about localizing sound. Today I went into work 3 hours earlier than usual. We have an entire wall of iPod docking stations, many of them have alarm clocks. Apparently, someone set one of them to go off at 6:00 am. ???

I hear this beeping and realize its one of the docking stations, but I had to put my ear up to EACH one before I could determine which one it was. Luckily no one was around to laugh at me ;D

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009