Author Topic: Now watching and waiting for something different...  (Read 3942 times)

crivers

Now watching and waiting for something different...
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »
First of all, thanks to all of you for your opinions, advice and kind words of support in the past. It's funny, because I am still a newbie here, but I am no longer in the official watch and wait club.

A brief update here, then I'll move my post over the the correct location on the board.

I intended to go to the US (Stanford) for an initial consultation with Dr. Chang to gain comfort with him and his team to eventually treat me when the time came. I was completely sure I did not want surgery, so I was seeking opinion on Cyberknife vs. others. This meeting occurred the last week of March 10.

While I was fully expecting to hear about how small the AN is, how it is not an emergency situation, etc. and to continue to watch and wait; that did not happen. During the two hour consultation, the discussion between myself, my family and the doctors led me to the decision to schedule the treatment the week of 5th April. Because this decision is very personal and very different for everyone, I'm not sure that anyone would understand why this decision made the most sense for me, right now. I feel great about the decision and that is what is the most important for me and my family.

So there you have it - I have now been zapped and my outlook couldn't be better.
I will post more details on the actual treatment and my initial thoughts, conditions soon on the correct thread.
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Now watching and waiting for something different...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »
While I was fully expecting to hear about how small the AN is, how it is not an emergency situation, etc. and to continue to watch and wait; that did not happen. During the two hour consultation, the discussion between myself, my family and the doctors led me to the decision to schedule the treatment the week of 5th April. Because this decision is very personal and very different for everyone, I'm not sure that anyone would understand why this decision made the most sense for me, right now. I feel great about the decision and that is what is the most important for me and my family.

This is exactly what AN treatment decisions are all about.  Doing what is right for YOU.  We always stress this on the Forum.

Congratulations on making your decision and also on getting "zapped".

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:02 am »
So you decided to have the experts "nip it in the bud," or zap it while it's still small.  I had CK last month.  How are you doing?  I'm doing great, just need to get back in shape!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:23 am »
Congratulations on getting it done. You may still be a newbie (it's based on how many posts you've made), but more important, now you are a postie!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

crivers

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:19:12 am »
Sunfish, you got it, the doc laid out a pretty compelling case for me, so I went for it.
I am feeling fine - I just finished on Friday at Stanford, then got on a plane to Perth AUS. I am tired and a bit headachy, but I'm sure some of that is from the jet lag. I am hopeful to be back to myself over the weekend. I'm lucky to have some time off of work so I don't have to think about much or perform any difficult maneuvers (other than entertaining my 6 year old).

A postie it is Steve. Thanks.
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:38 am »
Congratulations on your decision and treatment.
I trust and hope all things will work out just fine for you.

Best regards, Kenneth

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:05:29 pm »
I think that is great, zap it while it is small and get on with your life, glad you are doing well.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:49:17 pm »
Crivers,

Sounds like you have made a great and confident decision. I am glad. Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.