Author Topic: my latest MRI and surgery date scheduled  (Read 8690 times)

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
my latest MRI and surgery date scheduled
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:10:50 pm »
So i have been very busy recently and i found some time before me falling asleep before the keyboard to write to you.

thank you marianna (mk) for your supporting personal messages!!

First the week started with some master;s admission exams for the first three days in row, i didn't have any lunch breaks so i was allowed to go out of work an hour earlier. then after 8 hours straight at work i ran for my exams for 3 more hours each!!

Then on Thursday i woke up at 6 am so as to get ready and go out - i have never been to the hospital where i had my MRI this time and since it was away from home, i reached it in an hour. to cut the story short, although i had a 3 week earlier appointment for 8 am, i got in to the MRI scanner 40 min late.  anyway, they finally took an MRI for me and since i have already paid for contrast (yep in Bulgaria we  pay for it - it is only the simple MRI scanning that the  state health agency covers  :-\  ) they came and injected it to me till the end of the whole MRI scanning. then scanned me for 5 more min and that was it. Overall, i HATE MRI scanners - these are so scary for me!! i always get panicked when i had to go through this. :-\
i was well late for work as you can imagine (thanks God i have such an understandable chief), again without lunch break - this time i used it to go back and take my MRIs, i ran to my health care center (it is private, i pay for it in addition) straight after work. there i had an appointment with a surgeon and breast cancer doctor. the surgeon prescribed me to have full blood examination on the next morning; breast front - nothing to worry, finally something positive.

So today (Oct 3) at 6:30 i headed up to this medical center again to have blood examinations and an appointment with my neurologist. She is a wonderful doctor and person!

Looking at my MRIs, me sitting on the bed straight after the blood exam - i almost faint every time when they take blood, i am so scared of the pin getting into my vein- brrrr - the neurologist explained to me what she saw. Actually, my AN is huge - 4.6 x 2.1 x 3.1 cm. I remember that these were the approximate sizes of the tumor last year when first discovered, which means that it has grown to its initial size despite my two partial resections.  :'(

Meanwhile, last week i had a bad cold which worsened my vertigos and dizziness and even before having an MRI, i called the doctors in Hannover, Germany and asked them to have an appointment for surgery. The very next day (Thursday) i received an email asking me to confirm that Oct 12, 2008 is suitable for me. So did I. I had been waiting for an answer from HEI, LA for a week then and the moment i got in contact with the doctors from Hannover, i received an answer from HEI on he next morning.

Anyway, I do not regret for my decision in any case and since HEI told me to reserve a surgery date 4 - 6 weeks in advance, i preferred Hannover. In INI Hannover i had to ask for a date only 12 days ahead.

Now I had to book me and my brother's flights for next Friday or Saturday, still do not know. I asked the woman who got in contact with me from INI Hannover via email yesterday and still do wait for an answer. i even called her today several times, but only the telephone secretary switched on!! they have no customer service policy!!!  >:(

I do not know when exactly when they want me there for all the medical pre op exams and I do not know which flights to book and for how many nights to arrange the hotel stay. I am mad at her   >:( - she is dealing with human lives and shows no concern!!  i have to wait till Monday to get a reply from her, hopefully!! And since one of the flights of Lufthansa is already full, who can guarantee me that till Monday the other won't get full!!  ?

My chief told me that if I want i can the next week free, but i prefer to go to work, rather than staying home and thinking constantly about the forthcoming surgery!

Tomorrow at 7 am (ugh another early hour  :( ) i am travelling by train to my hometown to visit it and my parents for my last time before surgery and then getting my packs ready for the long journey!!

Hrissy

PS Finishing this letter, i realized that on this day (Oct 3, 2007) one year past i had my first surgery ever (both my first AN surgery which turned out to be the first in my life) in my life and now i am expecting the third. i am a bit tired and scared but hope this resection will be the last - after all they cannot open my head numberless times, right?!

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: my latest MRI and surgery date scheduled
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »
hruss:

What an adventure!  You certainly haven't had an easy time of it and I admire your fortitude in the face of bureaucratic obstacles and a hectic daily schedule.  All I can say at this point is that I will pray for you and trust that this AN surgery will be successful and your recovery quick and total. 

Thanks for finding the time in your busy life to update us on your progress and upcoming surgery on October 12th.  I've added you to our AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d12/10/2008?authenticate=&display=M&style=Band  so  you'll have lots of people thinking of and praying for you as you approach your surgery day.  I wish you all the best.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:35:03 pm »
Hrissy,

You will have lots of folks thinking of you and praying for you on your next surgery. Here's to the hopes that is your 3rd and LAST surgery.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:51:35 pm »
Hrissy -

I'm glad you have a surgery date and wish you the best.

You've been through so much.  I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

hruss

• young and cheerful!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:37:54 am »
Jim, Cathy and Jan,

thank you for your support!!

Jim

I will have retrtosigmoid surgery if you want to add it to the calender (I could not). and I tried to correct the number of the surgery but I could not. It will be my 3rd surgery, actually.

I still do not have an answer from the INI HAnnover, Germany about when I have to go to the clinic for my pre op exams and how long they will tke them. So I cancelled my booked flights and came back to initial phase - still waiting!

Hope they will answer me soon!

Thank you for your support again, guys!! I really really feel that I need it!

Hrissy
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:49:35 am »
Jim, Cathy and Jan,

thank you for your support!!

Jim

I will have retrtosigmoid surgery if you want to add it to the calender (I could not). and I tried to correct the number of the surgery but I could not. It will be my 3rd surgery, actually.

I still do not have an answer from the INI HAnnover, Germany about when I have to go to the clinic for my pre op exams and how long they will tke them. So I cancelled my booked flights and came back to initial phase - still waiting!

Hope they will answer me soon!

Thank you for your support again, guys!! I really really feel that I need it!

God luck and know that we all are behind you, wishing you success and praying for you as Oct. 12th approaches.  :)

Hrissy

I hope they'll answer you soon, too! 

I fixed your AN Treatment calendar entry to reflect the details you gave.   

We'll be thinking of and praying for you as your surgery date approaches.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 08:36:15 am »
Wow, Hrissy!

You have been through so much already!  My prayers are with you as you go into this next, and we pray final, phase.  We all have to jump through hoops when it comes to health care, but you have had to really deal with a lot. 

God blses,
Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 09:38:36 am »
Hrissy-

You have been through so much!  I hope that the third time proves to be the "charm" and your AN will be gone for good.  In the meantime, you're in my prayers.  You have an amazing spriit.

Debbi, sending you prayers from New Jersey
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:27:38 am »
Hrissy,
Thinking of you and hoping as always, for the best.  Your patience in the face of all these obstacles is pretty amazing.  Keep us posted.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 01:36:21 pm »
Hrissy,
I too hope the third time proves to be the charm.  Keep us posted -- I haven't checked the AN calendar is your surgery on it? 

Wishing you onlly good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »
Hrissy~
WOW!!  I am glad that you are going ahead with surgery (sounds like it needs to be done SOON - I'm so sorry it has grown back to the original size), However, selfishly, I was hoping you would be having it here in the States so I could visit with you on the phone.  Maybe I can get a calling card - that what I do when my friend is in Mexico.  Do I just get one that covers Europe, I wonder??  We will DEFINITELY be with you in thought & spirit and sending LOTS of prayers your way.  I will PM you later - sorry I haven't been able to write back sooner...my grandmother is not doing well (just set her up with Hospice {end of life treatment here, basically}) and am taking full-time care of my mom who broke her leg and can't get around well or drive.  That with the busy schedule we have is quite a lot!
Hugs to you!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

andrea in slc

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 03:19:02 pm »
Hrissy

Wow, what an adventure you've had, trying to get this thing removed permanently! Here's to the docs in Germany and hoping they can take care of this for you so you don't have to worry about it any more! They're German, they're detail oriented, if anyone can, they should be able to (I'm 1/2 German, my mom came over to the US in the 1960s). I also hope that silly woman calls you back soon so you can get the big arrangements made.

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Andrea

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 07:32:16 pm »
Hrissy,

Hoping you have an easy time and a smooth recovery! Keep as posted!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:01:34 am »
Thank you all so much for the soothing words!! I get to understand that i really need them!

I was in Karlovo today (my hometown - 2h 30 min away from the capital where i am living) to take a good bye before me flying to Hannover, Germany at the end of this week. My mom and dad were so worried. They tried to hide their feelings but me looking at them and their helplessness made me so down. I cried so much on my own. Tend to realize how worried they are, me being in another country struggling for life and they being so much apart! they must already be devastated!!

I preferred not to tell my grandparents about the exact date of my surgery (they only know that it is going to be someday in October) because my grandfather was just released from one month hospital stay after a heavy surgery that left him mute! and my grandmother staying with him and taking care of him all the time and at the same time worrying about me - my news would just ruin her! So I left my news for my myself!

Kaybo, I would have loved to hear you on phone but HEI LA were a bit late with their answer so I preferred to talk to Hannover who made an appointment for me immediately!

I will be with my brother in Hannover and he will keep you posted about the details around me!

Hrissy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:04:29 pm »
Hrissy -

as you so accurately pointed out, AN surgery isn't just difficult on the patient, it's also difficult on the patient's loved ones.  I will include your family in my prayers for you.

I'm glad to hear your brother will be in Hannover with you and look forward to his posts.

Keep your chin up.  You've been through so much, but you will get through this too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways