Author Topic: question about hair.....  (Read 9052 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: question about hair.....
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 05:42:28 am »
*puts on Cosmetology hat, unwrinkles hairdresser's license*

Well, hair growth approx 1/2" per month .... again, I use the word approximately.  In the summer months, hair tends to grow faster as the heat will stimulate blood supply to the hair shaft plus, we tend to eat  more healthy, thus, better nutrients feeding the hair.  So, have faith that it will grow back... and, with longer hair, incision sites can be concealed better.

Hang in there folks!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 06:32:35 pm »
Hey, Phyl, do you do nails  ??? 

If so, I'm going to try to persuade the good folks @ the ANA Hqtrs to throw in a free manicure along with my 2009 Symposium registration.

Surely there's something about this in your moderator's contract  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 09:46:24 pm »
Thanks so much for all your answers!  I didn't realize you shouldn't get the stitches in the sun.  It makes sense.....but my brain doesn't seem to be working very well yet! ha.
I feel alittle bad, for complaining about my shaved hair, when some of you have problems with your facial muscles.  I'm sorry to be be insensitive.
I pray all of your facial muscles will start working very soon, and be back to normal. 
My daughter did confirm to me that the second surgery was when the doctor shaved alot more hair off.  From behind my ear, it's shaved about 2 - 2 1/2 inches (to my hair).  My hair is very short, but that means I don't have any to cover it.  I've always loved long hair, but mine is so fine, it never looked right.
I think the scarf is the best idea. 
Wendy, don't think a thing about asking questions in this topic.  No problem.  When is your surgery?  What kind are you having?
As everyone said, the first week is the worst.  It gets alittle better everyday.  It's been 16 days since my second surgery. (and 25 days since my first). It really wore me out having 2 surgeries.
I didn't have to take a pain pill today, for the first time.......so I AM improving.  Hubby and I have started taking walks outside in the evening. 
You WILL get thru this, I promise, and I don't lie!!!  ha.
Glad to hear from you and everyone.  What a blessing this site is.
Lacey

Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 10:35:03 pm »
Hi Lacey,

Thanks for being so understanding.  My surgery is this Friday and I am having translab.  I am feeling very calm and confident right now and am hoping for a good outcome.  I know this surgery is no walk in the park from observing what you and others have gone through, but my doctor is optimistic and that makes me feel the same way.  I always try to see the proverbial glass  as half full.  In this case in the sense that my chances are better that I will have the good outcome I am hoping for (I am a cockeyed optimist too!)  Don't apologize for complaining about your shaved off hair.  Everyone here understands wht you are going through.  It's been said before, but I'll say it again.  We are here to support each other in any way we can.  Everyone needs to vent, get the support they need and not feel guilty about it.  That's why we are ll here.I hope the rest of your recovery is quick and goes more smoothly.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:43 pm »
hello wendy, good luck and best wishes in your surgery!!  we are all here to support you - keep us posted!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 07:14:44 am »
Hi Chocolatetruffle (great name by the way!) -

Thanks for your good wishes.  My husband is going to e-mail Debbi and she will be posting for me.  It's been a long road to this point for me, I really took my time deciding on treatment.  Now that the date of my surgery is just around the corner I'll be glad when it is over, or I think I will anyway.  I am in such good health otherwise I am truly hoping for the perfect outcome I promised Debbie, Eve and Joe I would  have.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:47 am »
And, we're going to hold you to that promise, Wendy!   ;D  But, no matter what the outcome, we'll all still love you!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

marymomof3

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 09:19:09 am »
Hi Lacey - I had Middle Fossa and pretty much ahd the same reaction as you did when I first saw the incision.  I started to wear my hair a little differently to try to cover the incision.  But now that it grown a little, I don't really care much about it anymore.  I still don't put my hair up in a ponytail or anything....  but I think that the rest of my hair cover the bald spot that growing in.

And oh my....  I haven't gotten a hair cut or color wince my surgery in March!!!  and it is way past due

Mary :)
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

satman

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 11:18:30 am »
i honestly never worried about that,they probably thought i was drunk by the way i was walking ,they  probably never made it to my hair because of the eye and mouth i would imagine.
if they would have said anything i would have tripped them with my cane or run over thier toes with my wheelchair. just kidding.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 01:44:56 am »
Mary,
They must make the incesion in a different spot with Middle Fossa than with Translab.
I've heard other people say the same thing you did. 
Hair color is an entirely different story - ha!  I know I have to wait quite awhile to have highlights put in again.  I can wait for that.  I don't have gray hair or anything, so it can wait.
You are lucky that you can wait that long to have a hair cut.  I always get mine cut every 6 weeks!
I go see the surgeon on Friday, and I will ask him when I can go have it trimmed.  (Just the right side in the lower back (to match the other side just alittle), and my bangs trimmed alittle.
So they aren't hanging in my eyes!!!
I've learned this week that this isn't the most important thing in our lives right now.......healing is!
Right, everyone?
Oh, Satman, I forgot to answer you.
I would trip them with MY cane (if I had one), FOR YOU!!!!!!!  There's power in numbers!  LOL.
Best of luck, Wendy, and I'll be praying for you.  If you are the same way, it's such a good feeling (except for the pain) just to have it over with!!!!!!!  May God be with you, and everyone else in this board.
Lacey

Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 07:34:23 am »
Best of luck, Wendy, and I'll be praying for you.  If you are the same way, it's such a good feeling (except for the pain) just to have it over with!!!!!!! 

Note to Wendy -

don't worry about pain.  Some have it, so don't - and if you're one who does, there are excellent drugs (legal of course) to help you deal with it.

As for just having the surgery over with it, I'm with Tammy.  I personally found that to be a big relief.

You'll be fine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 09:19:20 am »
Satman Super 8, 8)

I have so missed you!.  ;D Glad to see you posting again.

4 (your better half- tease  ;) ) ...actually now I am called "Daisy Head Mayzie"…DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

satman

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 11:25:44 am »
hey 4, you are definatley my better half,ha,ha,crooked smile.
how have you been ?
i dont mean to hijack your thread,just havent heard from 4 in awhile.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 05:27:23 pm »
the only responses i got sure werent because of the hair  LOL its a little thin up there anyway.

My biggest concern was the looking like a stroke victim. and i did . some kids kinda freaked but ive had that b4. most everyone wanted to know what went wrong and i got tired of answering them. my surgery was almost 8 months ago.

Today only those who havent seen me in a while even notice.

THE problem is Steve..........i see very little progress at times. My wife and co workers have to tell me. and i have to listen to them i'm not an unbiased observer  LOL........

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

kimberly

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
Hi Lacey -

I had the middle fossa too and I had long hair .  I wore it long for about a month and then at about 8 weeks got it all cut so it was even.  I used to make up creative stories if anyone asked - such as "my 2 year old niece got at my hair with scissors"

The good thing, it grows back :)

Kimberly