Author Topic: question about hair.....  (Read 9051 times)

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
question about hair.....
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:41:03 pm »
I do have a question that came up today.
I was able to take off my dressing, and wash my hair today for the first time.  It's the first time I saw my incission(s).
I have two rows right next to each other.  My question is how did everyone handle going out in public for the first time.  I just wondered if it grossed anyone out, or anyone said anything?  How long did it take for your hair to grow out so it wouldn't show?
I know it probably looks worse to me.............and I don't feel like going anywhere for awhile, but did the women in the group have a hard time getting the one side of your hair to look kinda like the other side?  Did you go in and get haircuts?  Did you wear hats for awhile, or just let it show?
This is a minor problem, compared to others.........but it did bother me today.
Thanks in advance.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

shygirl

Re: question about hair.....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:51:34 pm »
Hi Lacey-

I felt the same way about my incision. I just put gauze over it and tied a "cutsie" bandana around my head. Nobody ever said anything or looked "grossed out".

My hair has grown about 4 inches in 11 months. My friend cuts my hair because I'm still squeamish about the numbness.

You're correct in stating that it looks worse to you. That's what everyone(my family and friends) said to me.

I'm sure there will be plenty more suggestions to come.

Remember, it's just temporary. Before you know it, you won't even think about it. :)
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:18:44 pm »
The hair does grow pretty fast.     I was 3 mos post op from this last surgery 2 days ago and I am putting up with  my mid fossa hair that has grew some but still doesn't look like the other side.    I recently had my hair cut really short so they would be similar but aren't quite and I don't like it.      It shouldn't be long though and willl look thre same on both sides.
   The 2 yr ago translab and then the CSF leak had hair that fell down over most of it so got by better then.              Just do with what feels the best for you and who you are going to be around.             I never did wear any type of scarf or hat.
     Are you feeling better now?                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:47:48 pm »
i had translab and had long hair, so the shaved part was covered quite well.  Even though one side of my hair looks "thinner" than the other, no one knew i had surgery until i lift up the longer hair. anyway, my hair grew pretty fast but 3 mths after my surgery, i decided to cut the rest to "match" the short hair.  But after the surgery, i did wear a beret type hat where i tucked all my hair in, helps to cover the shaved hair and hide my greasy unwashed hair!!  hope this helps and hope you are recovering well too.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 10:13:24 pm »
The hair will grow back...

Be sure to make sure the incision (scar) is well covered and not exposed to the sun this summer.

8) Hats are very hip  ;)- this time of year. 8)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »
Lacey,

Unfortunately, I'm much too eager to show off my scar--sometimes people don't want to see.

I've been able to get away with not wearing anything to cover my bald spot. The top layers of my hair cover it pretty well. By now (almost 5 wks post-op) my hair has grown enough to cover the scalp. I was so worried about this before my surgery that I got some scarves, but I haven't had to use them. Haven't had a hair appointment yet. I'll hold off on the color for a few months.

Just wear bandanas or scarves if the top layers of hair are too short to cover the area.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »
Lacey -

my surgery was in the summer like yours, and as DHM said, it's important to keep the sun off of the incision so I wore a hat when venturing out on sunny days. 

I wear my hair very short (collar length) and the part the docs shaved grew back very fast - by the time my stitches were removed about 10 days post, my incision was fairly hard to spot.  The fact that the incision was behind my ear (retrosigmoid for me) also made it less noticeable to others.  If you didn't know I had an incision there, chances are you were oblivious  ;)

I got my hair cut a little shorter than usual the day before my surgery, so the docs had to shave very little and what they did shave just naturally grew in with the rest of my hair.  You didn't mention coloring your hair, but Syl did.  From what I recall there is a "unwritten" waiting period post op since your head needs to heal.  I don't remember what the time frame is, but if you plan on coloring your hair, I'd ask your doc how long you should wait.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 07:22:23 am »
My translab incision was so close to my ear that it really doesn't show if I wear my hair down.  However, I wear it in a ponytail a lot (because it is just easier and cooler in the summer) so at first I wore a scarf artfully tied around my head to over the incision.  What I finally realized is that I notice is far more than others.  And, in my case, the facial palsy distracts folks from my scar!  (see, a hidden bonus.)

I'm with you, Syl, I still find myself eager to show people my incision  ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 07:36:27 am »
I had retrosig and my hair was to my shoulders. After surgery it looked very uneven. I had my hairdresser cut it a little shorter to make it look more even. And I agree with Debbi, people were so busy looking at my frozen face I don't think they saw I had hair. ;)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:39:12 am »
Hi all -
I hope no one minds my hijacking this thread to ask a couple of questions of my own.  I know part of the head is shaved, hopefully not too much in my case since I am having translab.  I had asked this when I thought I was having middle fossa, but not for translab.  How do they keep the rest of your hair out of the way -- should I wear my hair in a ponytail or do they do something different?   My hair is long (a few inches longer than shoulder length) and cut in long layers.  I have a vague feeling I read something about this but can't remember when or where.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:36:57 am »
hello wendy, i had long hair too and had translab.  i went into OR with my hair down and the nurse first parted my hair behind my ear with gel - unshave side and "to be" shave side.  then he held down the unshaved hair with tape and proceed to shave the rest. i don't remember what they do next as i was knocked out  ;D   i did take a picture so let me know if you want to see it and i can PM that to you.  hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 11:45:32 am »
Wendy,

My hair length is pretty much like my picture you see here. I had it in a ponytail, but the nurse told me to let it down. When I woke up after surgery, my hair was held up at the top of my head with a rubberband--the kind of hairstyle you see only on a 10-month old girl. The rubberband was painful to remove afterwards.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

calimama

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 11:47:04 am »
I had retrosig surgery and have long hair so there is no evidence (with hair down) that i have a big shaved patch (growing fast hubbie says) and the incision is already pretty much hidden behind the new growth.

I know this info wont help you much, but maybe those out there who are approaching/considering surgery and worried about their hair (as most women would!).

Good luck....

Trish

ps> and like a few other respondants... the face (and in my case eye patch for double vision! is what gets all the looks! --BTW, kids have no trouble staring and i think they find the patch kind of cool... very "pirates of the carribean"!  ;D
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 09:05:10 pm »
Thanks to Choclatetruffle, Sylk and Trish,
This is one of the few questions I forgot to ask my doctor and I'm probably getting better answers from you  anyway.  I was feeling very calm and relaxed, probably the result of having what I thought were all my questions answered as Debbi said to me the other day.  All of a sudden I am getting anxious again.  I guess my calm was just the calm before the storm -- hope it returns.

Trish - We just got back from vacation and were at DisneyWorld for a day.  Pirates of the Carribbean was a favorite ride for the girls (12 & 13)  If I end up with an eye patch, I'm sure it will bring back memories for them and knowing my 12 year old (I swear she's going to be a stand-up comedian when she grows up!) unmerciful teasing and jokes, lnly hte goodnatured kind though.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:46 pm »
Hi Lacey,
Sorry, I hijacked your thread earlier and didn't write to you.  I haven't had my surgery yet but if I were you I wouldn't cut my hair yet even if it doesn't look quite right.  I remember Debbi saying she just ties a scarf around her head and that covered the incision.  Hats would probably be uncomfortable unless they're really losse, and then they might be hard to keep on.  I'd go with the scarf idea.  That is my plan too.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!