Author Topic: Sub Total Petrosectomy and Blind Sac Closure  (Read 8815 times)

kiwi

• Facebook
Sub Total Petrosectomy and Blind Sac Closure
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:07 pm »
Greetings all

I have once again made it through surgery, this time only 4 hours to complete the Sub Total Petrosectomy and Blind Sac Closure....phew what a mouthful.  Surgery wasn't as bad as last time and I was released from hospital the next afternoon. I am glad I no longer have the CSF leak as it was starting to cause some blinding head pain that couldn't be cured by any painkillers.  The worse part of the operation was the fat graft again.  For some reason it really was painfull when they reopened the old wound, I can't really walk that well at the moment.  I also no longer have an ear canal.....when I get to take my bandage off tomorrow I guess I will see the ugliness of it all.  Apparently I will have some skin sticking out of the ear canal but should sink down a bit when the swelling stops. I think I am going to grow my hair longer now. Anyway the main thing is I'm alive and kicking and will be resuming the road to recovery, even if it be a few steps backwards.

Thanks to all that have supported me through this physically and emotionally difficult time.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

kenneth_k

Re: Sub Total Petrosectomy and Blind Sac Closure
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:50:58 am »
Hi Jacqui.

I sincerely hope you have gotten rid of your problem for good.

Best regards, Kenneth

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:35:07 am »
Jacqui .....

So glad this procedure was not as bad as the original surgery.  Sorry for the fat graft pain.

Many prayers for a quick and total recovery now.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:48:37 am »
Jacqui,    That is what I had done for my leak also.   Now not sure about the blind sac closure.      I have the ear drum gone and muscle over the opening but no skin sticking out.   Just like a regular ear drum but with a bit of a different feel.      They did another incision in the abdomen to get the fat.    So I have 2 little incisions.                 When I had the hyst last summer the ob -gyn sure looked at my abdomen and asked what could I have had done.           Still not sure if he really understood. 
It did take a while to have the ear area get over the funny full feel but did in time.              I get a occ jab of an ache for a few seconds too.                  Hope you do fine now!                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

painter

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:44:49 am »
Jacqui,
You certainly have been through a lot.  The waiting must have been the worst.  Congratulations for making it through, it sounds like a lot more than most of us who have had CSF leaks.  Always interested in your progress, please keep us posted. Try to take it easy and know we are all rooting for you.
Peace and Prayers,
Tom

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:09:03 am »
Jacqui,
Thankfully your leak is fixed, you went through such a long period of waiting.  I know how horrible those spinal headaches can be .  Congrats  :D
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt