Author Topic: BAHA Repair  (Read 9183 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
BAHA Repair
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »
Last week I sent my BAHA to Cochlear for repair. I had several issues with it. The plastic membrane around the snap disappeared, the case cracked and when the slightest pressure on the top of the cover would shut it off just like removing the cover. I was wondering how long everyone had to wait to get it back.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »
Keith -

Cochlear promises a turnaround time of 5 business days and in my experience, they almost always honored this commitment.  One time my processor got "lost in the shuffle" and when I called them they promised it would be repaired that day and returned to me the next; they kept their word.

Cochlear will Fed Ex your processor back to you - or your audiologist if it needs to be reprogrammed.  You can also Fed Ex your processor to them when it needs repairs - they will give you their Fed Ex account number so they pay the shipping fees, not you.  Make sure you insure the package for the cost of the processor just in case it gets damaged or lost by the shipper.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:08:42 am »
I sent mine in because a seal on the back side was peeling back. It was back in one week. The also did some modifications to it just to bring it up to date. They pay for shipping both ways. They get a 10 in my book!

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
I want to respond to some of the issues you had.  Because of all the feedback I've had, my processor went to Cochlear almost two weeks ago (two weeks tomorrow).  I still don't have it back.  They told me that some of the problems with feedback are coming from defective casing on the BAHA.  Their new models are now being made from a different material.  Because of all the phone calls from me and from my audiologist, they invited my audiologist to Denver to visit them at their expense.  She was there last Thursday and Friday and I am hoping she returns with my BAHA.  I have a loaner in the interim.  I will say that Cochlear was responsive to me.  They have already replaced my processor once, and not sure what they will do this time.  Hope to know tomorrow from my audiologist.  They always called me back, got me to the right person and made sure all issues were addressed.  In the past I have gotten my BAHA back within 1 week, but this time it didn't happen.  Perhaps they were waiting for my audiologist to be there, but I will be anxious to hear about what they are doing to correct this problem.  They would not recommend turning off the feedback manager until they actually had my device and decided what was best to do.  I'll keep you posted.  You should, however, be getting your BAHA back within 5-7 business days.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:34:04 pm »
Mine has been out for two weeks too...mailed it to my audiologist and she was sending it on to cochlear.  The casing was cracked and feedback was bad especially in the car.  Waiting for the Ponto pro to be brought back to audiologist so I can try it.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:31 am »
Mine returned home last Friday. The case and membrane around the snap were replaced according to the paperwork. I had thought the feedback issue was resolved. I wore it to my granddaughters dance recidle with no feedback. This morning the feedback started. I see the audiologist next week and will talk to him about that.

I use a Zephyr Hearing Aid Dryer. I am wondering it that might be causing issues especially with the membrane. Does anyone else use this type of dryer?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:09:14 am by keithk »
8mm x 5mm left side
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA activation 2/1/11

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:41 am »
I use HAL-HEN dryer beads to dry out my BAHA. The membrane on the back of mine started to peel off also, so it sounds like this is a common problem. I have a little more feed back since I got it back, but it happens so seldom that it is not a problem to me.

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:02:12 am »
I also use the HAL HEN beads..I only use my BAHA when working...very seldom wear it at home, just when I go out...
BUT with it being gone for over two weeks I sure do miss it while working (teacher) I have done so many 360 turns that I should apply for a ballerina position...haha
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:46 pm »
I still haven't broken down and purchased a Dry & Store - and if the price of gas in Illinois continues to climb, I may never be able to afford something so frivilous :D

My Divino (which I wear very infrequently) is stored in my jar of beads and my BP100 spends each night in the little white box that came inside of the big white box that Cochlear sent me.

Yes, I know, a huge no-no.  I should be putting my investment in a jar of beads at the very least, but I just never seem to get around to it  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:44:40 pm »
I now what you mean about the price of gas depending what you drive the cost of a Zephyr could be a half a tank of gas if you bought from Amazon. I bought mine back in December when gas was cheep. It had me thinking about canceling our Memorial Day weekend trip to Door County.
8mm x 5mm left side
BAHA activation 2/1/11