Author Topic: Resource for preparing for surgery or procedures  (Read 1217 times)

MMH747

Resource for preparing for surgery or procedures
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:53:58 pm »
I was pretty shocked last year to hear that I had an acoustic neuroma and that I would need major surgery.  Never having had major surgery before, that in itself, was pretty scary.   A friend of mine gave me a CD called, Successful Surgery, which can be obtained from www.healthjourneys.com.  The CD uses imagery and self-affirmations to prepare for surgery.  Initially I was skeptical to the whole idea, but tried it.  The first few times it did nothing for me.  The next few times I cried the whole way through.  Then I listened to the CD at least daily and it really helped me to cope, relax, and be self-confident about what was to take place. Though I wasn't totally prepared for what recovery would mean for me, this CD was probably one of the most helpful, hopeful, and reassuring things I could have done.  It has been 11 months since my translab surgery and am doing well.  I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but it may be helpful for some.   
Diagnosed March-09 with 2.7 cm x 1.7 cm tumor; Translab surgery (13 hours) - UW Hospitals & Clinics - Madison, WI on May 20,2009;  unresponsive facial nerve post-surgery; doing well with hearing, balance, and taste loss

28Lisa

• pre opt
Re: Resource for preparing for surgery or procedures
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:14:24 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I hope many more will benefit from it and I'm happy you are doing fine

Lisa
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07