Author Topic: Raleigh Newbie  (Read 3162 times)

solecleansing

Raleigh Newbie
« on: September 07, 2007, 08:11:04 am »
 I was diagnosed with an AN - size 12x13x14mm

I am so happy I found this site.  It has helped with the anxiety.  I have a doctors appointment on Sept. 21st. to discuss my options.

I would like to know if there are other members in the Raleigh/Durham area.  Also, any suggestions on how can I find doctors with the most experience in my area would be appreciated.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Raleigh Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:04:11 pm »
hello solecleaning,
  I'm an AN patient in the Raleigh area.   Please feel free to contact me by clicking on the email icon to the left.  Send me your email address and I'll send you the notice about the local ANA support group meeting October 6th in Durham.  The support group meetings usually have about 15 AN patients who would be glad to meet you and share experiences.  They also have experience with the doctors in the area who treat AN.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

goinbatty

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:25:57 pm »
Hi there,
Welcome to the group but sorry to hear about your AN.  I was lucky enough to find this site soon after being diagnosed.  It is extremely helpful and everyone is so supportive.  I live in SC and am married to a NCSU grad.  Raleigh is a great place.  I'm not familiar with the physicians in the area but I recently found out that Chapel Hill now has a cyberknife center.  Since SC won't be getting one for awhile, I'm planning on consults in Jacksonville, FL soon.  Still undecided as to treatment though.  Just checking out the options.  I wish you well in your search.  There is so much information out there.  All I can say is, thank goodness for internet. 
Keep us updated.   GO WOLFPACK! 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 08:22:11 am »
Hi solecleansing and welcome,
I live in SC but I had my surgery 8-2-05 at Duke health Raliegh. I had a great team. Dr. Fukishima was my neurosurgeon and Drs McElveen and Cunningham were the neurotologists. Dr. Cunningham did my follow ups and I can't say enough good things about him. He is very caring and actually called me many times to check on me since I live so far. You can google them and find out about their credentials.Dr. Fukishima is a world renown neursurgeon and travels all over however, he has an office in Raliegh.Dr. Cunningham and McElveen are in Raliegh too.
My surgery was 8 hours and they removed all of the tumor. It was 2+ cm. I did not have any facial or eye issues. Balance was my main issue and since I had the translab approach, I did lose all of my hearing on the tumor side but I had lost most of it already.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you are making these decisions.
Take care,
Lynn

Obita

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 06:17:09 pm »
Hello Newbie from Raleigh!!

I can't help with doctors down your way but I wanted to say hi and welcome.

The initial anxiety is no fun but it does ease up with time.  The more you know about this tumor no one
has ever heard of, the easier it is to accept it.

Good luck to you, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 02:23:43 pm »
Hi, solecleansing:

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  Unfortunately, I'm not close to Raleigh so I can't offer any suggestions for doctors or hospitals in your area.  What I can offer is the observation that initial anxiety when diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma brain tumor is perfectly normal and happens to almost everyone.

Remember, you have a small, very slow-growing, benign (non-cancerous) tumor.  It is treatable and the chances of success are very high.

Stop back any time for practical advice and peruse the site for lots of valuable information on acoustic neuroma tumors.  Be informed. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

solecleansing

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:53:41 pm »
Thanks to everyone who replied to my e-mail. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:09:04 pm »
Hello sole!  Greetings from up in the High Country, Boone area to be exact. And welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear of your AN but you sure have come to the right place! Watch out for Headcase, though. He makes the cocktails pretty strong! I'll have to amble offa this here mountain and down to one o' them meetin's one o' these days when I feel like drivin' for 4 hours.

Even though I travelled to California to have my AN treated, the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area is known for it's many centers of excellence and world class health care facilities with Duke and UNC there. Stay in touch and stay on the web and you'll find the best.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW