Author Topic: Is this normal????  (Read 2833 times)

Denisex2boys

Is this normal????
« on: August 02, 2007, 01:41:45 pm »
I posted the other day about my new diagnosis of my AN .......  I have 75% loss in my left ear (since Dec. 06), some numbness on left side of face (comes and goes), of late .... headaches, and and feeling of 'loopyness' at times......

I just want to make sure what I am feeling now is 'normal' - I am anxious, almost panicky/jittery.  I seem to live on Advil as I have been waking up with a headache - could be the heat though - it's HORRIBLE here.

Would just like some reassurance that this panicky/jittery feeling is 'normal'.  Oh and I also feel sick to my stomach - but this is probably nerves - right?
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Is this normal????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:10:51 pm »
Denise:

I would say that the emotional reactions to your AN diagnosis are quite normal. 

You've been informed that you have a tumor inside your skull and you know it's causing you problems.  You also know by now that it has to be addressed and that you could have some post-op complications.  This is all very disturbing and a reasonable cause for panic, anxiety and even headaches.  It's generally lumped under the word stress.  Every AN patient experiences this to some degree.  I did.  However, these negative feelings, while normal, are not helpful.

There are myriad ways of coping with this kind of stress; from prayer to mediation to exercise to simply venting on forums such as this.  Bottom line: what you're feeling is normal - but it can be somewhat alleviated.  I think you'll come out of this experience just fine, Denise.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:03:17 pm »
Your reactions are absolutely normal.  You've been diagnosed with a tumor and it can be scary.  You're still in the beginning stages of trying to figure out what to do, what treatment to approach, and what questions to ask the doctor....and trying to figure out what doctor to see

Yep....I'd say you're about normal.    ;D

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:40:14 am »
Besides all the things already stated about the stress of finding out you have a neuroma, and it being really hot, ANs also can affect the balance nerve, that is where they usually start in fact. Some of the loopy jitters and stomach discomfort could be from things happening to the balance nerve, which can be pretty sensitive to small changes.

Either way, it is still nerves.  ;)

I have found that learning more about your AN helps reduce the stress, even though it isn't the best news. This forum is a good place for that. Also remember to give yourself a break now and then and enjoy some of the simple things in life as you make your way through it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.