Author Topic: trouble swallowing liquids  (Read 2099 times)

madison

trouble swallowing liquids
« on: November 15, 2009, 08:18:49 pm »
hi- i am post GK 21 months now. i have recently had some swallowing issues. started taking prilosec which seems to help, but
still having trouble with liquids. looked online and it said this could be neurological. i guess i should make my neuro and oto docs aware. i ws just
there and forgot all about it!  has anyone experienced this or have any info about it? is it something that could be temporary? well, thanks in advance for any
advice or info.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: trouble swallowing liquids
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:20:02 pm »
Madison -

I don't have this issue, so unfortunately, I can't offer you any advice - except to say, that you definitely should let your docs know. 

Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rc Moser

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:24:01 pm »
Of the 12 cranial nerves 11 and 12 control swallowing. I would goggle and read up on what nerves you think you maybe having trouble with.  Try  www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/cn/cranial.htm  (it willl some of the ones that come up when goggling cranial nerves) has a chart that briefly explains what each nerve senses and controls.  

Right after my surgery I couldn't swallow, took about 6 or so hours (I was drugged out on morfine, but I do remember I couldn't swalllow for awhile afterwards) for the XI (11th) nerve to come back beings it was tampered with. Swallowing is definely controlled by the XI cranial nerve, What I've read if that nerve is cut during an AN operation the patient can't swallow ever.  You may have an infection that's effecting that nerve. I would definely go back to the doctor and make sure it's just not a sore throat.?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:26:25 pm by Rc Moser »
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:13:28 pm »
Hello - I have a minor difficulty swallowing because my lips don't seal completely.  I take small bites, and rice......be careful with rice, I almost choked twice with it.