Author Topic: Continued progress at month 21  (Read 8130 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Continued progress at month 21
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 02:53:07 pm »
Jim,
Do you feel you are still making slight progress or did things more or less level off after 2 1/2 years or so.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 02:59:31 pm »
Jim,

Do you feel you are still making slight progress or did things more or less level off after 2 1/2 years or so.

Wayne ~

To be honest, I would have to say that I feel as if my recovery (which was excellent) did level off at the 30-month mark, more or less.  I've totally adjusted to where I am today (my 'new normal') and consider myself fully recovered.  One has to be realistic.  I never expected to be 100% the same after such major surgery so I'm quite pleased with my recovery.  Considering the struggles some AN surgery patients face, post -op, I have absolutely nothing to complain about, so I don't. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wcrimi

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 12:36:43 am »
Jim,

Wayne ~

To be honest, I would have to say that I feel as if my recovery (which was excellent) did level off at the 30-month mark, more or less.  I've totally adjusted to where I am today (my 'new normal') and consider myself fully recovered.  One has to be realistic.  I never expected to be 100% the same after such major surgery so I'm quite pleased with my recovery.  Considering the struggles some AN surgery patients face, post -op, I have absolutely nothing to complain about, so I don't.  

Jim

I hear you.  I'm in the same position and am really thankful for my result.  I guess there's a certain amount of greed involved. The cup is 3/4 full but I want 7/8ths.  ;)    

I really don't mind the diminished "balance" much.  I just have to learn to be more careful.  I fell today running full speed after a tennis ball and stretching for it.  That was a bad idea.   ::) That's the first time I fell in about a year and a half.  

It's the almost constant waviness in my head whenever I'm in motion that I wish would clear up a little.  I get these brief glimpses of close to normalcy on my daily morning walks that get me very excited. I get a bit frustrated when the waviness returns as the day moves on and I get a little tired etc...  It can be tough to have that constant feeling of mild disorientation whenever I walk and even more so when I try to be more active.  I want to be able to do more that just my morning walk and feel somewhat normal.  All the same, I'm going to keep holding out hope for better while trying to work on my balance with various exercises etc..

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:03:30 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

cindyj

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:23:16 am »
Uh, oh!  Be careful out there, but stay out there :D  I fell on the courts about a year ago, but have stayed upright since then.  Usually once or twice a match, I find I am running after a tough shot and have to really make myself stop or I know I'd be down...however, I think my game has actually improved a bit - I must now really, really watch the ball - they preach that constantly, don't they, but I must never have been too good at it ;)  Of course, I will never be able to do the Djokovic pre-serve ritual - makes me woozy thinking about it ;) 

Glad to know you've continued to improve, Wayne!  Good to see you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wcrimi

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »
Hi Cindy,

US Open this year? 

Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

cindyj

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 08:55:12 am »
Hi Cindy,

US Open this year? 

Wayne

No, not this year...will be watching from the living room only...I'll look for you on the tv, though :D
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

RichB57

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:35:38 am »
Posts like this really give me hope.  I'm only 4 1/2 weeks post op and have been wondering if I'll ever be able to get back to practicing karate again.  There is a lot of extremely fast movement involved, and right now anything more than a slow walk makes my head spin.  I'll just have to be patient.  Thanks for the good news story!
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

wcrimi

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »
Posts like this really give me hope.  I'm only 4 1/2 weeks post op and have been wondering if I'll ever be able to get back to practicing karate again.  There is a lot of extremely fast movement involved, and right now anything more than a slow walk makes my head spin.  I'll just have to be patient.  Thanks for the good news story!

If you are anything like me,  you are going to improve a lot from the stage you are at now.