Author Topic: What to do gamma knife or surgery second time around  (Read 2620 times)

tichinose

What to do gamma knife or surgery second time around
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »
OK my tumor is 2.8cm and here is what doctor said!

OK I understand that I am one of the few and probably the only patient that the tumor grew as fast as it did.  What a prize!

The decision is up to me but I need to let him know soon within this month.  Tim did go.

Here's his answers to the questions I asked:

1.  What happens if you watch and wait?  No option you will die
2.  Will tumor grow again?  2% chance like this time.  He understands why I don't have faith in percentages
3.  How soon would surgery be?  ASAP within a month
4.  Will there be additional surgeries after?  Could be

He suggests first 30 sessions back to back of radiation!  YUK! (6 weeks everyday)

1.  Will tumor stay the same?  It does not shrink but 98% of stopping growth and it's best to do when tumor is growing
2.  Will nerve problems be fixed?  Maybe but odds are high not but could try a medication, everyone's answer to everything
3.  What would be his choice?  If it were his head he would try radiation first.  There is a high chance that you may need both but 2nd surgery is more dangerous for complications.
4.  Does tumor turn cancerous if use radiation?  About 1% chance
5.  Will I need a 2nd or 3rd surgery?  They don't know!
6.  Any other methods of treating tumor?  Chemotherapy by medicine but would not suggest

Plans of action

1.  Physicians, radiologist, head of dept., oncologist(?), technologist, anesthesiologist,  etc will all meet and decide if radiation is best for me.  Will meet with radiologists and learn more about but need a decision soon.  He is very adamant about doing something quickly and of course I am not.

madison

Re: What to do gamma knife or surgery second time around
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:51:09 pm »
hi- i am so sorry to hear that you are facing this decision. maybe you can clear something up for me...did you already have gamma knife or surgery? i wasn't sure from reading your post. i had gamma knife and i'm waiting to see how things go as to whether it's working or not. i wish you all the best.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

tichinose

Re: What to do gamma knife or surgery second time around
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »
I had surgery in July of 08.  The tumor grew back fast and I have to meet the radiation people to talk with them also.  None of it sounded appealing to me.