Author Topic: Surgery Canceled - Doctor emergency  (Read 3327 times)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Surgery Canceled - Doctor emergency
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:24 am »
Got less than 24hour notice that my surgery was canceled. I asked why and was told its a Doctor emergency. I asked what the emergency was. Was told they can't tell me.  :'(

For some reason I feel so emotionally relieved. Even though I know I should be pissed off. :-\

My date was pushed back from 9-15-10 to 9-22-10. One full week.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?    :(
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

sunfish

Re: Surgery Canceled - Doctor emergency
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:03:00 am »
I had an entirely different sort of surgery postponed at the last minute.  Was all prepped and ready to go to the OR in the early morning.  Then waited and waited with no explanation.  Mid-day, they told us the doctor had problems with another patient.  I had traveled several hours from my home.  They wound up keeping me overnight in the hospital, and doing the surgery the next day.  I wasn't allowed to eat all day, until they were sure they weren't going to do it.

He was a vascular surgeon, and I guess he did a really tough surgery that day on someone who nearly died.  I was mad until I learned what happened (your situation may well be similar), and then it kinda put things in perspective.

Getting postponed and waiting a whole week would be really difficult for me.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:45:07 am »
I'm sorry you got delayed. I am sure it is a mixture of emotions. I sometimes wonder though, who got bumped or delayed because of my very long surgery. Fortunately, it had been scheduled on a Friday, but it still took up the time of the various surgical teams.

Don't forget that doctors are people and often have families. Life happens to them as well.

I hope you are able to relax through this next week.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

iluuvpups

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:54:47 am »
I'm sorry you got delayed.  I know I was a basket case in the days prior to my surgery, so this just extends the anxiety.  It will all be over soon.  Keep on hanging in there!
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »
Well that just stinks!  You get yourself as ready as you can and then whamo.  Well hopefully this next week will be a relaxing one for you, hang in there you'll be a postie soon  ;)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:05:33 pm »
Funnydream ~

My AN surgery wasn't canceled but I can easily understand the frustration when this happens.  Your relief is also understandable.  It's kind of a 'good news - bad news' deal.  Sort of like getting a 'reprieve' before a planned execution, which may be a slightly overblown metaphor but is probably apt for this situation.  In any case, try to think of it this way: a week will go by quickly and then you'll be on your way to recovery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:55:47 pm »
Hi Funnydream

My surgery was postponed twice due to emergencies.  First time by two weeks and the next time by one month, so six weeks later I managed to have surgery finally.  I definately was relieved temporarily but then it just got frustrating as the symptoms were getting worse.  It was the worst summer of my life...

I hope your surgery proceeds without a glitch.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »
Funnydream .....

My first brain surgery (for trigeminal neuralgia) had to be pushed back a week because as I was being prepped for surgery (already admitted), I failed their bleeding time test (had stopped my Aspirin 6 days before, but apparently it was not long enough).  It was truly a bummer of an experience ..... not only from an emotional standpoint but financial.  We live several hours from where the surgery took place, so it meant two trips and much rearranging of work schedules, etc.  When getting ready for the AN surgery, I followed instructions to the letter and all went off without a hitch.

You are taking it much better than I did.  If you believe in divine intervention, the delay usually means there were very good reasons for it.

Best thoughts and many prayers for peace of mind between now and the 22nd!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011