Author Topic: Happy New Year to all - this ANer is a rising leader  (Read 2901 times)

waypoint

Happy New Year to all - this ANer is a rising leader
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:44:38 pm »
I pray and hope that everyone has a wonderful 2009 with lots of improvements and recoveries. This past year was truly monumental for me and I wanted to share with you, that even though we suffer from AN, we can still excel in a normal life.  I was off for 3 months and had returned back to work Jan 2, 2008.  In this year, I was able to work through my balance issues, my facial issues, my stamina issues, and my SSD, at least to the best of my abilities and still proved to be a leader within my company. 

Next week I am headed off to SMU's (Southern Methodist University) Cox school of Business  Executive Rising Leaders Program. It's a 1 week a month for 11 months.   I am 1 of 24 out of 5000+ employees who have been hand picked as a rising leader which my company is grooming for possible executive management positions in the future. 

Long story short, we can let AN controls our lives, or we accept that challenges that AN presents and work through them.  I have chosen the latter.     

Again, best wishes to all for the coming year.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Happy New Year to all - this ANer is a rising leader
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »
Good for you, Waypoint!!  ;D

This is truly exciting news - and such an honor.

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:27:29 am »
Congratulations Waypoint!!!

Good for you!!! You are an inspiration to others!!! How wonderful to overcome your AN issues to excel! Again I congratulate you and say keep up the good work! Blessings to you...........
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:07:21 am »
Excellent work, Waypoint. You left out your softball comeback, though.  ;)

I am pleased that your company saw through your AN issues and evaluated your real worth to them. The qualities you have shown in managing your recovery are the makings of a truly effective and compassionate leader - the kind of person I would be happy to work for. Great job.

Best wishes for a successful 2009.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:35:02 am »
WHOO-HOO WAYPOINT!!!

This is truly an accomplishment!  I agree with you 100% - we certainly can't let AN's stop us and really, with the right attitude and desire...WHY let it?  I am very proud of you!  I hope that 2009 brings you MANY wonderful & new things to celebrate life!

K   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JudyT

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:34:17 am »
What a GREAT way to start the new year! Fabulous news. You are exactly right.....we can indeed overcome....not be deterred in our efforts to gain answers but move forward with life.

Congratulations!!!!!

Judy

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 11:57:03 am »
Congratulations, that's awesome.  And I know it represents hard work on your part. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:59 pm »
Waypoint,
  Congratulations, I love it when hard work pays off.
Regards,
  Rob
PS: Check out La Madeline on Mockingbird Lane, on the edge of the SMU campus.  They have a pretty good Cesare's salad.  :)
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 04:21:47 pm »
Waypoint ~

Congratulations on your impressive achievement!  I know that it's difficult enough to rise above the crowd in a large company and be noticed, as you clearly have, but to do so while battling the various impediments an acoustic neuroma puts in our path is not only remarkable but downright inspiring.  I'm a big believer in willpower and hard work as an antidote to almost any situation life throws at us and you've certainly provided a splendid example of how that philosophy can bring rewards, when it's applied. Thank you for your contributions here and your very encouraging post, reflecting your success in both your career and your life.  I not only wish you a wonderful New Year but I'm confident that you'll make it a good year.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 04:24:57 pm »
Waypoint!

Congratulations and continued blessings in this New Year!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 07:53:02 pm »
Congtratulations Waypoint,
It just goes ot show you can't keep a good man down.  You are truly an inspiration!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 09:03:39 pm »
Hey, Waypoint -

I noticed you have a new profile picture - and you look like you're standing on top of a very tall building  :o

Where was this picture taken?  And what are you doing up so high?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »
I thought it was a dock or something and that was the ocean behind him...

Waypoint~
I read your post to Dave and he wanted me to tell you "way to go!" - he enjoyed visiting with you the other day!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

waypoint

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 10:45:16 pm »
Thanks everyone. I am very excited about this opportunity and will certainly make the most of it.  My only concern is that the higher you go, the further you have to fall.

That picture is deceiving. Here it is:

When I was in Hawaii, I had taken this picture on top of Diamond Head with downtown Honolulu in the background. At the top of diamond head, there is a WWII military lookout post where tourist are able to take pictures. Its what I was standing on.  We were able to take the picture at just the right angle that nobody else was in the pic and it looked like I was on the edge. Actually, if I jumped off, I'd be standing on the ground, but it sure looked impressive.  I titled that picture "top of the world" and felt today was a good day to change my profile pic, because even with AN, I do feel on top of the world. Thanks.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 10:25:18 am »
Well, you sure had me fooled  :D

I thought you were way up in the air LOL

Regardless, it's a great picture.

Jan