Author Topic: Any connection between cell phone earpieces and AN?  (Read 2024 times)

waypoint

Any connection between cell phone earpieces and AN?
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:58:32 pm »
As most here already know. I had my AN removed on Oct 1st and am slowly recovering. This recovery period has given me lots of time to think in the whee hours of the morning when I'm awake but just not up and about. I've heard the stories here and there that radio frequencies from cell phone usage, blue tooth, and all other ear pieces may have a connnection to the increase in AN tumors. Now, I'm not laying blame or trying to find a smoking gun. But after thinking long and hard about this, I just have to think there may be some thruth to this. You see, I have always worn an phone earpiece on my left ear during work. That's 8 hours a day for the last 15 years. I just feel there has to be a connection and cannot discount the dangers of prolonged continued use of cell phones, ear pieces.  Maybe I am way off base. maybe not. I do know, now I don't like to talk on the phone with the earpiece. I will always use the speaker button and I never insert any earpiece into my ear anymore. One, can't hear out of the left ear anymore anyways. And two, don't want to jeporadize the one good ear I have left.  Thanks for listening.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Pembo

Re: Any connection between cell phone earpieces and AN?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:02:18 am »
waypoint, I've never used an earpiece and my cell phone use was very sporadic. In my case I think it has NOTHING to do with my AN.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:18 am »
We have discussed this issue quite a lot and as per various studies done, the results are inconclusive.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:42:31 am »
Waypoint,

I personally, don't think that cell phones and earpieces have anything to do with ANs.  I think ANs have something to do with head injuries.  Most are very slow growing.  Think back.  Ever been in a car accident?  Ever been hit hard in a football game or some other sport?  Ever been sledding or skiing and stopped abruptly? 
I have used head sets, ear pieces, loud music, cell phones, etc, so infrequently that it doesn't make sense that any of that would cause an AN.  Head injury, oh yes.  Too many head on collisions, sledding accidents, rear collisions, volley ball hits, dodge ball, and soft ball (who said that ball was soft?).
Check the archives on these arguments and points of views.  Some very interesting reading when you are up in the wee hours.
Continued good wishes ofor a speedy recovery.

Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:45:22 pm »
Hi, Waypoint;

This ground has been trod here many, many times, and, as Larry noted, the results are inconclusive - at best.  I seriously doubt that telephones, or sound, in general, has anything to do with AN tumors and their growth.  Just my opinion (and worth what you paid for it).  The cell-phone=AN premise always seemed fatally flawed, to me.  I almost never used a cell phone.  Still don't.  I think AN's are a genetic issue - but that is simply speculation, with no evidence to back it up....much like the cellphone premise. 

Jim
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 01:11:34 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.