Author Topic: do facial numbness and paralysis go hand in hand?  (Read 2938 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

do facial numbness and paralysis go hand in hand?
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:51:41 pm »
Reason I ask is because before surgery, I was pretty numb on the left side with totally normal movement.  After having the facial nerve cut and grafted, I have 100% normal sensation, but am mostly paralyzed.   (already getting a little movement back though)  I have no idea what is normal anymore.   ::)

Vonda

lori67

Re: do facial numbness and paralysis go hand in hand?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:02:33 pm »
Vonda -

Nothing is normal with AN's!  It seems like we all like to be unique!

I had the numbness before surgery too - no weakness.  Now, I have almost normal sensation, but no movement.  It's actually two different nerves that control those - one for sensation and one for movement.  It's my understanding that the facial nerve (movement) is more sensitive than the other.  So I'm guessing when they took my AN out - and yours too - it took the pressure off the nerve that controls the sensation and that one, being less tempermental, has recovered.

I'm glad you're already getting some movement back!  That's great.  Hope it keeps progressing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mk

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »
The nerve that is responsible for sensation is the trigeminal (cranial nerve V), whereas the facial nerve (nerve VI) controls movement. It is not uncommon for large ANs to press on the trigeminal nerve in its root entry to the brain stem, thus resulting in "numbness". The facial nerve on the other hand may be stretched without giving any symptoms. After surgery, the trigeminal nerve may be decompressed, therefore the sensation recovers (I wouldn't say though that it is less "temperamental" - it can be quite finicky and there are many people here who have trigeminal issues). Motor nerves are more difficult to recover, and once they are damaged they take long time to regenerate.

Hope this helps make some sense to all of this!
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »
Marianna,

Thanks for such a good description of the facial nerves.  Before my surgery I had no problems with either one.  Now I have problems with both of them.  I've gotten a fair amount of movement back, but it seems the sensation is barely coming back. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:02:07 pm »
Thanks!!  All this is new to me.  I just wondered if I was weird or not.  Good to know not.   ;)

Vonda

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:30:36 pm »
What isn't weird about this?  Thanks Marianna for such a great explanation.  I have mostly trigeminal issues. It's funny though; when I tell people my face is numb they almost always respond that I look fine.  Yup, two different things, but normal.  For us anyway.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.